Chapter Seven - Part 8

The next couple of days flew. The boys were suspended for three days with the warning of one more incident they will be expelled which seems too lenient in Marisol's book. It's all because they played the race card by passing the blame on Alex, they had the gall to accuse him of initiating gang threats it was their word against his. The administration takes gang issues quite serious. There is a major dilemma with gangs forming in the area and between the school administration and the police department they were cracking down hard, no exceptions. The frustration set in for Marisol since none of the boys provided a true explanation that could help her figure out this crazy puzzle she so extremely needs to solve.

Even though, she was bombarded with work she seized every opportunity to question teachers here and there. No one seems to have a clue or concern which caused her to question herself. Is she imagining things? Should she trust her gut feeling which never lets her down? She decided she could use a night out to clear her mind. Abruptly, bringing her thoughts back to Nate, who was still mad at her and it was already Thursday and still no word from him. She had enough with Nate not responding to the dozen of messages she left for him and decided to drive over to his office after school with flowers.

Feeling nervous and eager at the same time, she built up her courage to storm into the reception area only to find no one there. She heard voices and followed where they were coming from. She realized at once it was Nate and Marco. Listening in she could hear them discuss plans for excavation which could only mean Marco is going ahead with the development project Nate mentioned. Then Marco moved on with thanking Nate for taking care of the deal for him. He is extremely happy with his decision and has been working full force. Butterflies began to form in the pit of her stomach. What deal was he referring to? Nate did say he was working on two projects but never mentioned the second one.

Shifting in his seat Marco had to ask the question that gnawed him all day long clearing his throat with unease he let the words flow. "Getting off subject here, I wanted to ask if you would have a problem with me taking Marisol out to dinner." The eye contact between the two sent out electric sparks that could short out a neighborhood until Nate broke the current and looked down at his fingers as he flexed them clearly giving thought of his next response. He knew he needed to have a heart to heart talk with Marco, he prepared a whole speech for crying out loud but all his thoughts got muddled. He had to find a way to do it and not betray Marisol at the same time. His loyalty is to her first even though he knows what's best for her.

"Look Marco, I'm honored you seek my approval but you don't need my permission. Marisol is a grown woman with a mind of her own nevertheless I don't want you hurting her or you will have me to answer to. You seem to have the impression that she and I..." Before he could finish his sentence Marisol interrupted knowing what he was about to say. She couldn't afford for him to disclose their sham; it would ruin her scheme of revenge.

Rushing in, she headed straight to Nate extending the flowers as an offering. "Okay, okay I'm sorry for being a jerk. Please forgive me? I love you." He looked so surprised to see her and the over display of acting he knew she was ease dropping.

"Marisol, what are you doing?" Nate asked with a look of disappointment, she knew the look and she also knew she couldn't fool him for one minute but she wasn't backing down. Her ulterior motive was to seek forgiveness it wasn't her fault Marco had to spoil it by being there.

"Well, you avoided my calls and I came barging in here to seek your forgiveness. I can't take another day of not hearing from you."

Marco taking in the scene became more confused of their relationship. One minute they seem like an item and the next minute they were more like friends. Nate's lack of rebuttal of taking her out on a date seemed odd and now this display of a lover's quarrel had his head spinning. "Hello Marisol." Marco interjected.