Chapter Four Part 5

Marisol couldn't believe his car, a Mercedes? I guess these past years were really good, and she hopes it was all worth it for him. She knew she couldn't afford a car like this on her salary. She had so many questions but her pride would never allow her to ask questions. She would die before giving him the satisfaction.

Pulling into her drive way was like opening up a dam and letting the floods through. All his past memories that he shielded seem to come out all at once. He sacrificed so much and he felt his frustration rise again. 

She noticed his face frown as she shifted towards him. "Marco, I really hope your dad is okay. I will pray for him and your family."

He glanced over at her and wanted to pull her into his arms and bury his face into her hair he wanted to feel the warmth of her skin but all he could do was take a deep breath. "Why don't you swing by the hospital tomorrow, I'm sure the family would love to see you."

She put her head down and played with her fingers. "I don't think that would be a great idea."

"Why not?" He asked with his tone a bit harsh. He noticed the hesitation and with a softer tone he asked. "What is it you really want to say?"

She looked up into his eyes with deep sorrow. "Since you left, let's just say things have changed. Your family has wanted nothing to do with me. I feel they placed the blame on me for you leaving and well let's just say the rest is history."

He struggled with his thoughts not knowing how to truly respond. Looking from the road and back at her he sympathetically responded. "I don't know what to say to you, they have no right to treat you badly. I am sorry if they blame you and I will confront them." He stated not wishing to elaborate further.

She wanted to shout out to him, if she wasn't to blame then who was to blame? Damn him she wanted to know why he couldn't confide in her. Again, her pride stopped her from asking.

"Well I couldn't plea my case since I didn't have any of the facts. For all I knew maybe it was me you were running from, but at this point it doesn't matter it was so long ago and we are different people now. Please don't say anything to them; as the saying goes its water under the bridge." That was all she could muster. She started to get out the car needing to get away from him and he was out before she was able to put her foot on the ground. She looked in the back to say good bye to Cisco but somewhere along the way he fell asleep. She grabbed Nate's food and move to the side while Marco closed the door gently.

"Do I need to worry about your father coming out with a shot gun if I walk you up to the door?" He asked with amusement.

He really knew nothing of her life and it troubled him to know she was right they are complete strangers now. She looked shyly at him then replied. "No, you don't need to worry about my father. I live alone now."

He stopped in his tracks; her response was not what he expected to hear. So much has happened; life kept going on without him. "What happened to him?" She misunderstood his look of alarm for sincerity and it warmed her to her very core. She faced him and was lost for words for what felt like minutes.

She turned to look at the house then the old pick-up that just sat in the driveway. She couldn't bring herself to get rid of it, somewhere deep down she was hoping he would return but knew that would never happen. His memory was getting worse and he was not as strong as he used to be. Finally finding the courage to speak she answered. "He uh, he had a couple of strokes and I had no choice but to admit him to a nursing home. I couldn't provide him the care he needed. I mean I tried for a couple of years but he had another stroke and fell on my watch. He winded up dislocating his hip from the fall. I felt so helpless, I failed him. I know he wasn't the kindest person but he is all I have left." She shrugged her shoulders and turned her head to try to hide the tears that suddenly rolled down her face. She seemed to lose her composure and dignity around him. She would never allow anyone to see her vulnerable side and here she goes acting as if she was a child again under the spell of Marco. It aggravated her to lose control.