Chapter One - Part 2

Marisol couldn't shake off the feeling of dread within her bones. She considered her gift of premonition a wicked curse at times. Gazing out the kitchen window holding the phone to her ear as darkness engulfed the skies despite the fact the moon shimmered victoriously from its freedom of the storm clouds. Half listening to the other end of the phone, Marisol's ears were ready to burst from Nate chastising her causing major jitters through her entire nerve system. Grunting as she responded, "Yes Nate, I promise I will tell him tonight. We plan to meet up at the old red shed behind the tobacco field." Her nerves were getting the best of her as she began twisting the phone cord around her fingers while she paced back and forth in the old-fashioned kitchen that looked exactly the same way her mother left it years ago. She had just came back from her grandfather's barn where she fed the horses and brushed them down. Spending time with the horses was her escape from reality. When she galloped through the fields it felt like borrowed freedom; taking her mind away to places of contentment and excitement where only dreams are made of.

"I don't know why you waited as long as you have." Nate replied; his tone expressed his disapproval. Nate has been her best friend since kindergarten and they always had each other's back no matter what the situation called for.

"You know exactly why. I don't want obligation to effect Marco's decision about school. Since graduation he has been on the fence about going away to school or taking a year off to work at their family auto shop and I don't want my pregnancy to be his crutch that dictates his final decision. He has a full ride to the school of his dreams and he should go Texas to fulfill that dream. If he doesn't go he'll only resent me and the baby later on. It will be the oldest tragedy in the book where many sad country ballads are written about. I can't afford any more dramatic tragedies in my life but I did decide he should know and the sooner the better. I will stress the importance of education especially now. At least for me the good news is the baby will be due in February and I will have enough credits to graduate by December."

"Look Marisol, it takes two to tangle so do not put the entire responsibility on yourself. We both know Marco loves you. It will all work out in the long run, I'm sure of it. What I do fear is your father's wrath more than anything." Nate knew once her father William Braxton Jr., finds out all hell is going to break loose and that raises his concern. "With that said, when do you plan to tell your dear old dad?"

Marisol started to bite her bottom lip and stared up at the ugly wall hangings meeting the glares from the Country Roosters made of plaster then added, "Well, my plan isn't a genius one but I will wait until my first trimester is over and I'm in safe zone not having to fear any crazy tactics he may have on abortion. He's way too unpredictable and I won't chance it, ever since my mom died he hasn't shed an ounce of kindness towards me." Shaking her head, "No, no he will be the last to know as far as I am concerned, hopefully Marco will have some kind of plan. I will let you know how it all goes down tonight. He said he has something important to share with me. Would you know what that something is by any chance?" She asked with hopefulness in her voice.

"Well I can't blame you. I'm worried, most parents just get mad and then they move on but your dad is insane and unreasonable. Some people in town even call him Satan and actually want to hide when they see his police car approaching the neighborhood - I'm just saying. Always remember I'm here for you and love you so please be careful. Regarding your question love, Marco hasn't mentioned anything to me. I'm as clueless as you and now quite curious. Let's try to catch up in the morning I want details lots of details."

Taking a deep breath and exhaling before she could respond. "Okay will do. I know I can always count on you, Nate. You are my best-e-s-t friend until death do us part." She giggled as she remembered years back the three of them Nate, Marco and herself declaring those words as they combined their bloody fingers as a pack in the very same red shed where she was meeting Marco tonight. It has always been the three of them one adventure after another. It made her think about the "Big T" she didn't know how she will survive once they sold it. All her childhood memories were spent on that land. The Tobacco farm was located in the outskirts of Raleigh, North Carolina. Her grandfather William Braxton Sr., was already in his mid-70's and it was well pass his time to sell, ever since her grandmother passed away last year her grandfather gave up his zest for life and the evidence showed on the land.