The Wedding - *BONUS*

Magsimula sa umpisa

Then a thought struck Megan, a thought that made her knees weak and her heart race.

Was Sam planning to propose?

Megan tried to think rationally, remembering the many conversations she had had with Sam over the subject. Sam wasn't that type of person, not that she disagreed with marriage as a whole but she had claimed it just wasn't for her. Megan was a traditionalist in the sense of love eventually leading to marriage, but Sam of course had different views. She claimed she didn't need a piece of paper to love someone forever, which Megan respected, but always kind of wished was different. So why was the thought of Sam proposing swarming around her mind?

Deciding to test the waters Megan broke the silence, "If we ever got married, who would take whose last name?"

In this moment Megan took notice to Sam's reaction, which seemed to be indifferent. She wanted something, some sign that maybe her intuition was right, but either she was delusional or Sam really didn't have anything special planned.

"I don't like the thought of taking your last name," Sam admitted.

A sense of pain struck Megan.

"Only because then my name would literally be Sam Adams, and I can't be named after a beer."

At this Megan's heart sighed in relief as she laughed, squeezing Sam's hand in response.

"But that's one main reason I don't like the whole marriage thing," Sam continued. "Like, why should someone give up part of their identity for someone else?"

Sam was stalling, attempting to steer Megan away from the idea that she was actually minutes away from proposing to her. If she wanted it to be a surprise she had to put her acting face on and convince Megan otherwise, at least till they made it to the end of the pier they were approaching.

On the other hand Megan had gotten the answer she needed, realizing that Sam still wasn't for making it official, at least in traditional terms. She tried not to seem disappointed but she was, wishing that her girlfriend's views on an important subject didn't affect her. She never wanted to change Sam, and she never wanted her to do something just because Megan wanted it, so she sucked it up and followed Sam up the wooden steps of the pier.

Sam could feel the tension between them but she knew it wouldn't be long until she made it better. She was preparing herself, rehearsing the things she wanted to say inside her head as her knees shook with anticipation. The ball of nerves in her stomach was growing, her free hand fingering the ring she had in the pocket of her jean shorts. She was terrified and excited all at the same time, and just a few seconds stood between her and asking Megan for forever.

That's when Sam spotted Shawn and Casey, off to the side of the pier and blending in with a few other people. Casey had her back turned to them while Shawn was pretending to take pictures of random passerby's.

Guiding Megan away from the few people on their pier that overlooked the Gulf she took a few deep breaths. The setting was perfect, not too many people, a nice breeze and the sun slowly beginning to set over the horizon of the ocean. All of this and all Sam could think was that Shawn better get all of it on camera or she would surely kill him.

Finally she was facing Megan, taking in the look on her face and hoping that the next few seconds would turn all of this around.

Sam asked, "Did I upset you?"

Megan tried her best to hide her pain, "It's fine. I shouldn't expect you to change your mind on certain things. If you don't want that I need to respect it."