The movie seemed to go on forever. Thankfully it ended at some point and Lara had to go to bed. Seeing her hug and kiss Austin as well as Lauren goodnight, only reinforced the idea that she seemed to be the only one who didn't see it as a problem at all.

While I didn't like the idea of leaving Austin and Lauren alone in their awkwardness, I had to get Lara ready for bed and tucked her in like every night. I kissed my daughter's forehead softly and wished her a goodnight before wanting to return to the living room.

"Mommy?" Lara asked just when I wanted to walk away.

"Yes sweetie?"

"Was Lauren sad tonight?"

My heart dropped when I heard those words in her vulnerable voice and sat back down on the edge of the bed.

"What makes you say that?" I questioned and stroked her arm tenderly.

"She looked sad and didn't talk," Lara shrugged her little shoulders. "I want her to have fun with me."

"She always has fun with you, trust me," I immediately stepped in because this had nothing to do with my daughter. Lauren's mood affecting her this much surprised even me. The young voice sighed. "Look at me, honey. Lauren loves you very much. I know that for a fact. Even if she was a little sad tonight, it had nothing to do with you, I promise. Ok?"

"Ok," the girl with hazel eyes nodded and smiled. "I love you, mommy."

"I love you more," I whispered and left another kiss on her cheek before leaving her room.

I didn't have a lot of time to let that conversation sink in because I wanted to return to Austin and Lauren. But when I entered the living room, Austin was nowhere to be found.

"Where is Austin?" I asked dumbfounded.

"He left as soon as you brought Lara to bed," Lauren explained and I sighed in a mixture of frustration and relief. Although he was being a douchebag, this way I had some time with my girlfriend who seemed extremely overwhelmed with everything that had happened tonight.

"I'm sorry about the chaos," I approached her slowly. "I had no idea you were going to come over. If I had known then I wouldn't have invited him to stay."

"Why? Obviously he should spend time with Lara more than I should," Lauren replied and my brow furrowed. Now I had no idea what to say. I understood what she meant but it hurt to think that she didn't want to be more involved. Her words and behavior confused me beyond belief tonight.

"I know this wasn't exactly ideal but I'm still glad you decided to come over," I said truthfully and got closer. She simply nodded and I couldn't figure out what was going on inside that beautiful mind of hers right now. So I decided to take a different approach since speaking wasn't our strong suite tonight.

Gently pressing my lips against hers, she definitely reciprocated and that was a relief at least. I wanted to show her that I appreciated her surprise visit even though the outcome had been unexpected. Looking for her gaze afterwards, the emerald orbs met mine for a brief moment. Again I was clueless on what the expression in them meant. Clearly she was being distant and not as affectionate.

"Do you want to stay for a little bit?" I breathed also filled with a little insecurity now.

"No, I should go home. I have to work tomorrow," Lauren avoided looking at me for some reason.

"Why are you not looking at me?" it slipped out slightly angrier than I had intended.

"I don't want to argue right now," she mumbled and turned away.