Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

I dug around inside, but everything was right where it was supposed to be. I looked up as Hunter came out of the last stall, cursing loudly.

"Son of a bitch," He barked angrily, clenching his fists, "Merde! Whoever it was, they're gone now, ain't nobody here." I frowned.

"Isn't there a way you can track them?" I asked. Hunter hesitated at that, running a hand through his hair. He looked around for a moment, then started going through each of the stalls. I looked back at Julian's bag, grimacing at the sight of blood smeared on one of the pockets.

"Got something." Hunter said aloud. I looked up, carrying Julian's bag with me as I went to go into one of the stalls when I saw he wasn't in the stalls. He was in the huge empty space between the wall and the last stall. He was knelt down, his hand resting over the tiles. I frowned, not understanding at first until I came closer to see his fingertips tipped with blood.

"Whose blood is that?" I asked as Hunter rose to his feet slowly. He sniffed at it, touched his tongue to it before spitting it out, running his tongue over his teeth.

"Not Julian's. Must be the other guy. So Julian probably got him good if he's running around bleeding, unfortunately, I can't track him with just this. The blood is only in this one area." Hunter muttered, then went to the sink, rinsing off his hands. We left the bathroom and came to the stage area where a couple of paramedics were loading Julian up onto a stretcher. They had put an oxygen mask on his face and he'd stopped convulsing. Now he was tilting his head around as if trying to find something before his eyes landed on me.

He gave a small whimper that felt like a blade cutting into my chest. I shoved Julian's bag at Hunter and sprinted over to where the paramedics were taking him.

"Wait! I have to go with." I ordered, trying to get past one of the paramedics that came to stop me.

"And you are?" He asked sternly.

"His boyfriend." I snapped. The paramedic hesitated, glancing back at Julian, who was squirming in the stretcher. The paramedic nodded reluctantly and led me over to Julian's side. He stopped struggling and reached out with shaking fingers, taking my hand as the paramedics took him out to the ambulance in the parking lot.

"Julian? Julian, who did this? Did you see who bit you?" I asked, keeping my voice low. Julian's lips moved, but no sound came out. He whined in distress, but I shook my head.

"Never mind, tell me later. Right now it doesn't matter, all right? You're going to be okay, I promise." I said, clasping his hand tightly in mine as the medics pulled him up into the vehicle. I climbed in back with the paramedics, seeing that Hunter had followed me out, giving me a grim stare.

"We'll meet you back at the hospital." He told me. I nodded just before the paramedics shut the doors and took us to the hospital. They fussed over Julian, injected him with things, poked him, prodded him, took blood, everything. The entire time, Julian stared up at me, completely relaxed, our fingers laced together.

The ride didn't take very long and when we got to the hospital, Julian's mother was already waiting in the waiting room, pacing around until she saw me walk in with the nurse that led me from the emergency entrance to the lobby.

"Adam!" She rushed over to me, catching me off guard as she threw her arms around me tightly. I wasn't used to this kind of attention, especially from Mrs. Grey of all people, but I didn't push her away or act awkward. I knew she just wanted comfort, so I hugged her back gently before she stepped back to study my face, tears in her eyes.

"What happened? The doctors won't tell me anything and Kornelius is in town on a business meeting so I can't get a hold of him." She managed. I winced inwardly, but kept a calm fascade as I told Mrs. Grey about the dance up until the moment where Julian fell to the stage, convulsing. She cried a little longer and I looked around uncomfortably before I hugged her again. She clung to me until Amber and Mary-Kay showed up with Alexander.