Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

“The disadvantages of dating someone so materialistic.” I mumbled.

“What?” he asked, to which I replied with a curt ‘nothing’.

“I’ve really got to go now. I’ve been here long enough, seen things I don’t want to see again.” I glanced up at him. “If you’ll excuse me.”

“No, I’ll take you home.” He laid a hand on my shoulder.

“I don’t think your girlfriend would like that very much.” I gave out a small chuckle.

“Of course I bloody well won’t!” I heard a shriek coming from the doorway. I turned to see Mary Alice glaring in my direction. “Are you seriously offering to take this nobody home? And what am I? Last year’s basketball uniform?”

“Babe, come on. I can’t let her go home alone.” Adrian said softly.

“She’s a nobody to you!” Mary Alice came forward and stood a good two heads shorter than Adrian. 

“She’s not a ‘nobody’. She’s Travis’ younger sister and I fully intend to make sure she gets home safely.” He was firm and stood his ground. “I care about her as much as I do Travis.”

Mary Alice gasped. “And you would be willing to put our relationship on the line for her?”

By this point, we had gained an audience. I heard mumbled whispers and people stepping forward trying to see what was going on. It seemed that everyone was waiting for Adrian’s answer.

He was silent for a while before he straightened out his chest and said loud enough for everyone to hear. “Yes.”

I was just as shocked as everyone else there. Adrian ran his fingers through his hair and took a deep breath.

“Listen Mary Alice, I can’t do this anymore. I’m sorry but you’re a controlling bitch.” The scowl on her face deepened. “I don’t like being pulled around on your leash, I need to breath.”

“You can’t do this to me!” she yelled. “Not here of all places.”

“As I said, I’m sorry. We’re through.” He turned to me. “I better get you home.”

With one more glance and Mary Alice, Adrian and I walked out to his car. I was trying to put most of the pieces together. I only came tonight so that I could be a spokesperson for Landon, then I had to get caught up in this mess.

I sighed as I followed Adrian to his car. This night just couldn’t get any worse. Adrian held the passenger door open for me and I climbed in. I gave him a small smile as tuned to look out the window as he pulled out of the driveway.

“Thanks for sticking up for me back there Adrian, although I didn’t mean for you to break up with Mary Alice.” I said softly.

“It’s not a big deal. I know we’ve been together for a long time, but we’ve been fighting a lot for the past few months.” He gave out a small laugh. “A person could swear that we were an old married couple.”

“Still, the fact remains.”

“Evelyn, it’s cool. I needed to get out of there anyway.” He glanced at me. “I almost beat Landon’s lights out for hitting on Travis like that. I just hope that he won’t try anything now that I’m gone.”

“He won’t.” I said firmly. “He’s not like that, and besides, Claire would have his head if he hurt Travis again.”

“Yeah, I heard about that. I wanted to kill him for that but Travis stopped me. He said that he kind of asked for it and that Landon wasn’t the only one to blame.”