01: The Graduate & the Bet

Rhea Scott

This is the day I've been waiting for for the past four years. I haven't felt this way since high school graduation. Yet this time, I'm not handed a diploma for those silly high school classes I dreaded, but I'm handed a degree that will make or break my future.

And my future is having my own business and opening a local cafe here in Beverly Hills.

Growing up, I was always babysat by my elder sister, Rachel, who had a job at a diner at the same time. She worked as a waitress and while she was serving customers or bussing tables, I would be at one of the booths playing with my toys or doing my homework.

It was a daily routine for the two of us back then, but I never minded.

Rachel was always the prideful type of girl. She wanted to earn her own money rather having our parents hand her a few hundred dollar bills every month as allowance.

I love going to the diner as a kid. I loved walking into the smell of pancakes and french toast. I loved the kindness of Rachel's co-workers who seemed to have a soft spot just for me checking up on me every hour when my sister was busy.

And just being in that atmosphere for so long made me want to do something like that for the rest of my life.

So I studied business here at UCLA for the past four years. Sure, it was a big struggle and many days I remember where I would cry myself to sleep for being so stressed especially as a freshman.

Just when I thought high school was hard back then.

Though, a very special five people kept me sane and without them I probably wouldn't be standing in front of my mirror wearing my cap and gown.

All thanks to my sister, Rachel.

My dorm mate, Adelaine.

And three very special knuckleheads named Chaz, Ryan, and the infamous prince of pop who everyone knows, Justin Bieber.

I met the three stooges when I was only fourteen. Surprisingly, it was right after his first album My World released meaning me and Justin are only one year apart in age difference. Hearing him on the radio for the first time back then shocked me big time because I was able to say 'yeah I know the cute boy that sings this.' Even to this day I can still say that.

"Hey, c'mon. We're gonna be late!"

My dorm mate, Adelaine, whom I've grown to love over the past four years exclaimed. She walked out of the bathroom placing bobby pins in her hair to keep her cap in place.

"I didn't expect all of this to happen so fast," I replied lowly, not moving away from the full length mirror my eyes still on my figure.

"Me either, but soon enough you'll be opening your cafe and I'll be the one helping. I didn't major in engineering and took extra classes at FIDM for nothing." Adelaine amusingly responded, coming up beside me and putting her arm on my shoulder.

"Talk about real friendship goals, am I right?" I smirked, my eyes diverting towards my best friend's reflection in the mirror.

"Let's go, babes. Our families are waiting for us!"

Arriving to the gymnasium, Adelaine and I checked in which was a mandatory part in order to graduate. If we don't sign in, the school board doesn't call up our name to receive our diploma and degree.

"Oh, man. I'm so ready for today," Adelaine chirped, after the two of us signed in.

"My stomach is doing flips, Ads," I told her.