Chapter 4: Sole's First Caravala!

Start from the beginning

"Yeah."

She resheaths her sword and then glowers at me. I give her a confused gaze.

"What's the matter?"

Her hand flies across my face. I touch my cheek softly. Then, a punch to the stomach knocks the air out of me and throws me to the trunk of the broken tree. 

"Idiot! What were you thinking!"

I stand up quickly, my cheek stings horribly.

"I'm sorry. I got lost."

She narrows her eyes and a sound fills the air. Like a low grumble. I turn around ready to run if I need too but Karvella is clutching her stomach.

"So...hungry! Make me some food, Sole!"

I blink twice and then smile as she drapes herself on my shoulder, claiming that she can no longer walk without food. We reset camp at the riverside, starting a fire next to a damage fern tree.

Karvella watches as I put the last of our fish supply onto the makeshift rack and turn it twice. It has been almost a month since I left the town of Mineas with Karvella. After going back to the town, I discovered that the town was destroyed and all of its remaining residents were dead; eaten by the Caravala. After making graves for Misau, Hikari and Tsubame, there was no reason for me to stay so I followed Karvella and we ended up here in the forest.

"Fish!"

I turn back to the fish and pull one off the rack, handing it to Karvella. She eats quickly and sloppily, not even trying to be lady-like. I lay back in the grass and stare up at the sky. Leaves drift on the breeze, floating gently to the ground; the light coming through the trees, shows through in various place and the earthy smell is calming. Beside Karvella's obnoxious chewing, the quietness is almost soothing.

"I wish I could stay here forever," I mutter.

I can feel Karvella glance at me but she remains quiet, nibbling away on her fish. The ground's coolness and the soft grass on the ground compel me to rest. But instead I stare at the moss growing on the trunks of the tree above me, as water trickles through the little creek and birds sing. It is lovely. 

"Hey, Sole," Karvella says, her mouth full, "I heard that there is a town somewhere near here. I think that we can finally get some more food."

I nod, still staring up at the sky. 

"When do you want to head out?"

"Tomorrow. I'm really sleepy right now...," she groans, "goodnight."

I smile at the sky before turning over and glancing at Karvella, who is already asleep about 3 feet away. Without her, where would I be?

'Dead,' my mind sneers.

I shake the thought out of my head and wrap my body in the warmth of my coat.

"Good night, Karvella."

The only response I get is an obnoxious snore and a grumble about food. I lay my hands behind my head and close my eyes. I feel as if the world is watching me...

Expecting me to do something extraordinary.

                                                                                  ๑۞๑   

I am awoken by the sound of splashing. I have always been a light sleeper for as long as I remember. Unfortunately, Karvella is the heaviest sleeper i've ever met. I sit up, glancing around frightfully. The setting sun casts eerie shadows on the trees, making monstrous shapes appear on the ground. Karvella is still snoring away next to me, her mouth open and drool coming from the side. The splashing noise appears again, somewhere down the river embankment. I stand up slowly and cautiously, trying not to alert the cause of the noise to our presence.