Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Oh please. He couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag." He drawled, taking out another case and resting it on his shoulder before taking out another to hold in his hand. Lysander raised an eyebrow, but thankfully, he didn't seem to be in an antagonizing mood, so he let it go and helped us carry our gear in through the back door of the gym, taking us into the hallway between the bathrooms and the stage door. We went up the stairs to the stage, coming out and setting up our stuff.

"Incoming." Adam muttered from behind me as he helped me place my keyboard on its stand. I frowned, glancing at him before looking up to follow his gaze. My smile faded to see Walter coming in through the doors. A few students cut him a wide birth, giving him dirty looks and muttering things under their breath. Walter flinched away from them before he spotted me. He went through the hallway and took the back way up onto the stage, pushing past the navy curtain that someone was spraying with silver glitter.

"Hey, uhm, can I help you?" Walter asked, setting his bag down by mine that I placed back stage. I hesitated, looking at Adam, but he drifted away to tune his guitar, glancing at us every so often wearily. I looked back at Walter and nodded reluctantly. Walter's shoulders slumped in relief and he came to stand beside me.

"I need you to plug this in," I said, handing him a cord, "The socket is probably behind the curtain."

"Sure." Walter obeyed. I watched him go, an eyebrow raised as I glanced at Adam, who held his hands up and shook his head, as if to say he had no idea why Walter was being so obedient all of a sudden. I cleared my throat, waiting until Walter came back before I turned on the keyboard.

"I need you to grab me a mic," I told him as I tested a few keys, "There should be one over by Lysander. You'll know him when you see him." Walter gave me an odd look, but once again, obeyed without question. He came back with the mic, setting it up in front of the keyboard.

"Who's the cutie with his eyes darting everywhere?" Lysander said in my ear as he watched Walter help the other band members with their mics. I shot Lysander a withering glare.

"He's human, he's eighteen, and he's not your slice of pie."

"Oh, trust me. I like all kinds of pie."

"He doesn't. He likes... Uh, apple pie."

"He'll learn to like other kinds of pie."

"Are we going to drag this metaphor out or are you just gonna come right out and say you think you can make Walter like guys?" I asked flatly. Lysander scoffed, waving me off as he came to sit on the small black leather seat that'd been set up for me.

"My sweet, precious little nephew, a wise person once said everyone's a little bit gay."

"Lysander, that was Honey Boo Boo."

"So what? Little chubby children can't be wise? Trust me, she speaks the truth. Doesn't matter what you tell yourself, there's always a little voice in your head that says Ooo, me likey. Let's go do him or her. And right now, that little voice is telling me to pin that boy down and take him like a--"

"Whoaa, whoa," I groaned, waving my hands at him before covering my ears for a moment, then dropping my arms to my sides, "That's so gross. You're my uncle for cryin' out loud. I don't need to know about your sex life." Lysander shrugged, flashing me a wicked smirk before his eyes drifted to Walter again. He licked his lips hungrily when Walter stooped over to plug in Seth's mic.

"I'd like to plug his--"

"Dude!"

"What? You should be taking notes, kiddo. You can only learn from the best." Lysander responded matter-of-factly, nodding.