Chapter 6 Alpha Males Aren't My Type (Reese's POV)

Chapter 6 Reese

The hair stands up on the back of my neck, and chills run all over my body when I hear the pleading sounds that I know are coming from my mother. I rest an ear against my bedroom door, nervously waiting for silence. As I creep my way out of the room then down the dark and narrow hall, I slowly peek my head around the corner. My father is lying on the living room floor, and my mother is squirming underneath him. When I'm close enough to see the fearful expression on her face, I have no doubt that she is in danger. His left hand is pressed against her mouth, and his right hand is tightly wrapped around her throat. Terrified for my mother's life, I stumble back to my room and stare out my window, desperately waiting for the teenage boy.

I feel intense rage pour out of me as I take out my aggression on the heavy bag. Between the visit from my father, and the nightmares of my past, I've had just about as much as I can handle. Stepping back, I gaze at my reflection, noticing the effects from my recent lack of sleep. I pull off the gloves and wipe the sweat from my eyes, jolting to a stop as I tread toward the locker room.

On the other side of the wall, I hear two men engaged in conversation. It doesn't take long for me to recognize the voices belong to Luke and Kyle. Normally I wouldn't snoop like this, but I'm convinced I just heard them say my name. So I crouch behind the wall like the awesome person that I am and try to listen.

"Why? You got a thing for her?” There's a smile in Kyle's tone.

Luke's reply is clipped when he grumbles, "No man. I don't.”

I roll my eyes.

"It’s okay, man, I’m not going to say anything.”

Luke chuckles, but it sounds a little forced. "No Really. Last night there were some guys giving her a hard time. I didn't see her car. I got worried.” That's because I walked.

"Uh huh, well, just so you know ..." I press my ear against the wall when Kyle gets quieter.

“She’s a man-hater." He chuckles softly. "The woman’s got Daddy issues.”

What? Who in the hell told him that? I frown.

"Yeah, well maybe she has her reasons.” Damn straight I do.

“I guess.”

“And just so we’re clear,I don't look at her like that … she’s not my type."

 That earns a roar out of Kyle, “Yeah dude. She's not my type either."

"You know what I mean," Luke stutters. "She's just a kid. Come on. What kind of guy do you take me for?"

I can’t take another word out of his mouth. In fact, I'm speechless. Actually, I'm a lot of things. A kid? Not his type? Who does he think he is?

 I stand up tall and pat down my hair before gliding past the desk, heading straight to the locker room. They instantly stop talking so I turn my head nonchalantly, show them my fakest smile, and say, “Hi guys.”

 Kyle quickly clears his throat as Luke strides over and pulls me aside. “What?” I ask sheepishly, forcing myself to look at him. Damn him!How can someone look so good in a flipping wife beater and plain old track pants? 

“Why didn’t you text me back?” he asks. His scent intoxicates me. I almost forget that I’m pissed and deeply offended.