05 Twilight's Last Gleaming

Twilight's Last Gleaming; the very last bit of light before night falls.

            "CARMEN!" WELLS' VOICE AWOKE THE sleeping girl.

Carmen slugged her hand out, colliding with Bellamy's chest as she pushed herself up in a panic. Bellamy let out a groan before stumbling out of the tent with Carmen. "What's happening?" Carmen rubbed her eyes.

"There!" Octavia pointed to the sky. Carmen's eyebrows came together as she caught a glimpse of a pod from the Ark floating down into the atmosphere with a parachute. "They're coming to help us." Jones said, "Now we can kick some grounder ass!"

"Please tell me they brought down shampoo," one of the girls whined. Bellamy looked down at Carmen, waiting for her theory. "Maybe it's nutrition packs. If we're lucky, a med kit," she shrugged. There was no telling what it was until they got to it.

Bellamy pulled a small group into a tent and Carmen followed with Wells by her side. "Where do you think it landed?" Carmen questioned. Bellamy shook his head unsure, "I don't know."

"It must have cleared the ridge," Wells spoke. Jones nodded in agreement. "Right. If it cleared the ridge, it's probably near the lake."

Octavia entered the tent, "we should get moving. Everyone's ready."

"No one's going anywhere. Not while it's dark. It isn't safe. We'll head out at first light. Pass the word," Bellamy announced. Everyone filed out of the tent and Carmen walked with a purpose to Miller. "I just heard the news that we aren't going until sunrise," Miller said.

"Not me," she walked towards Bellamy's tent, taking some of his gear. She grabbed a knife and one of his ax's, along with one of the bags he made from drop ship materials with a light. She felt oddly scandalous, wondering if anyone thought Bellamy and her had done something that hadn't. "I'm leaving now. We can't let the grounders get to it before us."

"Do you have any idea where you're going? No, I'm coming with," Miller disagreed.

Carmen shook her head, "no. Only me. You have to cover for me. It's got to be somewhere by the lake and I've learned how to navigate my way in the woods. As much as I want you to come with me, you'll only slow me down and that's not what we need."

"Hey," Miller grabbed her wrist, "why do you still have your wristband on?" Carmen gave him a look, snatching her wrist away. "It transmits my vital signs to the Ark, why wouldn't I have it on?"

Miller cocked his head a degree, "you didn't hear? Monty accidentally fried the wristbands. All signals have been terminated. Didn't you feel a shock?" Carmen's face dropped. She was so emotionally drained from what happened with Charlotte and Atom that when she fell asleep, she fell into a deep sleep. It was the longest time she had slept in one time period while being on Earth and she wished she had felt rejuvenated from it, but she didn't. She must have slept through any shock the wristband gave off.

"I didn't know," she deadpanned as she turned to go out of the gap in the wall. "If we have no way to communicate with the Ark, that pod is our key. It has to have a radio. Just stay here Miller," she gave him a look before slipping out of the camp.

_______________