Chapter 8 - Might as well...

Chapter 8

"Do you want to get something done?" my mum asked as we stepped into the parlor and took a seat amongst the gossip magazines and retired women with nothing to do. "I'll pay."

"Um, maybe I'll just get it washed and trimmed." I say picking up an old Rolling Stone.

"Okay, and maybe I'll have them throw some curls in there for the heck of it." she offers. I just shrug in response.

I hear heels clicking harshly then Marsha's smooth, breezy voice.

"Hello ladies, ready for your appointment?" she calls over from the desk making a few clicks on her computer.

"Yes, please." Mum says getting up and walking over beckoning for me to follow.

I get up as she leads us to our shampooing chairs. Our belongings are taken to be locked away and aprons are fastened around our necks.

"Diane and Sandra will be here in just a minute." Marla tells us then walks off.

We nod and are left alone sitting in our chairs. There's an awkward silence thanks to them for taking my phone.

"So how was your first day over at Sandy's?" mum asks.

"It went really well. The mornings are pretty crazy but nothing I can't handle."

"Good, and Sandy?"

"She's nice."

"Do you know what your schedule's gonna be like?"

"I'm allowed to pick up shifts as I like but I'm doing Saturday and Sunday brunch and three days during the week."

"I'm happy for you."

"Thanks."

Our stylists arrive and I'm dipped backward into the sink. This is my favorite part. I love the relaxing feeling of the water running down my head and their fingers massaging my scalp. I'm a zombie in 30 seconds which is probably why my mom waited until now to bring up the purpose of this outing.

"So sweetie," I moan in response, "we need to talk about last night. Do you want to tell me you story or should I stick with Park's?"

"Nothing happened that you should be worried about." I speak with my eyes still closed.

"Well I am worried because I'm your mother and he's nineteen. I trust you both to be smart but we need to draw some kind of line."

"Okay." I answer lamely.

"From now on you're not allowed to have boys over without one of us home."

One of us includes Park.

"Mum, don't you think you're giving Park too much authority? He's not much older than me and he's always on my neck like he's my dad."

She sighs heavily. "Are you seriously going to complain about not being able to get away with anything?"

"No. It's just not fair and not right. He's always bothering me about college, jobs and who I hang out with like it's his business. I thought only the parents did that."

"Well maybe your attention needs to be brought to college, work and who you hang out with. You came home hung over; he caught you in bed with a boy who's over eighteen for Christ's sake." She whispers harshly.

"Oh my god! We weren't in bed we were on the bed. Are we seriously gonna do this here?"

I hear Diane chuckle behind me as she wraps a towel around my head and give her a glare. Mum stands and points an angry finger.