13. Rain and whispers

Lydia's POV:
Friday had ended almost as soon as I came home. My mom walked in the door and had asked me what was wrong and I told her I'd gotten sick. It was a lie but what was I going to tell her? I hadn't slept at all last night. I kept thinking about how I had avoided Stiles the past couple of days but he'd been trying to talk to me. Was it wrong avoiding him? After all, he did regret his decision, that's all Scott would talk about at lunch the next day. "Stiles feels super bad! And Stiles this and Stiles that blah blah blah!"

But now it was Saturday. A day for relaxation and mind clearing.
Ding-dong!
A day for unexpected doorbells.
I rolled my eyes and lifted myself from the couch, making my way to the door. I was about to turn the knob when I thought, what if it was Stiles. I shook the idea from my mind. He didn't even know where I lived.

I opened the door and without a word, Allison barged in, brushing against my shoulder slightly.
"Do come in." Sarcasm dropped from my voice as I extended my hand in a butler-greeting type way.
She rolled her eyes and sat on the couch as I closed the front door.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked Allison, referring to her randomly showing up at my house.
"Scott won't shut up about Stiles and you're going to do something about it."
"Like what? Apologize?" I joined her on the cushions, turning on the tv. Allison snatches the remote out of my hand and turns it back off.

"Yes, you're going to be the bigger man." Allison growled.
"It was his fault... He's the one that left me alone. Chose popularity over me. I'm not spending another summer alone Allison!"
"But you have Scott and I! You'll never be alone ever again ,Lydia, I promise." She gives me a quick hug and I sigh. Allison was such a good friend.

She let's go of me and we both slump into the couch.
"He's not going to get that apology easy though... I'll make him work for it." I mumble and Allison laughs. Eventually, I laugh along too, just because she had one of those laughs that made you feel like laughing too.

Just then my mother walked in the room, jumping at the sight of Allison.
"Oh! Allison, I didn't know you were here." She smiled. She was dressed in her work clothes and I knew she'd be working late tonight.
"Where's dad?" I asked and moms face seemed to darken. She cleared her throat and sat on the living room love seat.

"Allison, would you mind?" Mom says and I know this is serious. She never makes Allison leave. My best friend smiles sweetly, telling me to text her later before exiting through the front door.
"Mom?" I asked cautiously and my mother crossed her legs. Something was going on.

"Your father just left for Oklahoma... He'll be staying with your grandparents for awhile."
I swallow dryly. "He has business in Oklahoma though right?"
Mom sighs, her eyes glossy as she shakes her head no. "What are you saying?" My voice cracks.

She shifts a little, her mouth opening and closing slightly as she thinks of what to say.
"We're finalizing our divorce." She speaks and I shake my head, standing from the couch.
"Finalizing?" I start to tear up.
"We've been divorced for seven months now."

Seven months. Seven months and I was just now being told. At first I wanted to cry but soon anger took over that emotion.
"You didn't tell me?" I grit my teeth slightly. Mom stands to join me but I back away towards the door. "I'm going for a walk." I say silently. She tries to speak but I shove my shoes onto my feet before walking out the door.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I ran down street after street, away from the house, away from the commotion. I called my mom and told her I'd be staying the night at Allison's then quickly hung up. It was a lie but I couldn't deal with all that had happened. I'd been walking aimlessly around the large neighborhood for a while until eventually it started to rain. But I kept walking.