Chapter Five

A.N. I finally updated! Yay! I've cast Lana Parilla as Arthur's delicious and stylish mother, head of the House of Valgari, most expensive shoe house on the planet - the one, the only, Elvari Avassi Valgari.

Chapter Five 

9th June 1999 - Arthur Valgari

"Morning!" my mum chimed, sitting comfortably on a stool in the kitchen, being her usual chirpy morning self. She was a very morning person, meanwhile I didn't exist before late afternoon. I was as lazy as it gets, but I needed my sleep. At least ten hours of it, and some days even more. Don't judge me. Without sleep, I couldn't function properly. When you're as sarcastic as I am, you simply need time to recharge your sass every once in a while. We're all only human.

"No," I replied groggily, ignoring whatever it was she was saying and taking a seat opposite her. I watched her pour me out a bowl of cereal, and when she was done, I began digging into it slowly, keeping my head down. I knew I'd look like shit, I even felt like complete shit. Purplish bags underlining my eyes, hair all scruffed up, bad breath. I made myself sick. Luckily, no one had to see me like this, just my mum and Freddie.

I stole a look at her and saw that she was smiling meekly at me, like she was waiting to ask something. I put my spoon down and stared back at her sternly. "You okay? You don't look too good," she decided to ask, spooning small portions of her own cereal into her dark red mouth.

"What do you mean?" I inquired, giving her one of my many pissed off faces.

"You look feverish. And you have awful bags under your eyes."

"The only bags under my eyes are Prada," I shot back. "I wake up flawless."

"Did I hear arguing yesterday morning, after Millicent raided our fridge? I was sure I heard shouting, a girl's voice. A new girl, someone I hadn't met before. Who was she?" My mum liked to ask a shit load of questions, while at the same time didn't really care enough about me. It was fine how it was, though. I already had serious boundary issues with Freddie, I didn't need them with my mum too.

"Dunno." One word answers were really all I was capable of when it was nearly seven in the morning and I had to get ready for school. "Why do you care?"

"Because I'm your mum. Was she your new girlfriend? What happened to the other one? Amber Bambrough? Why do you even have so many girlfriends? I hope you aren't a fuck-boy," she said, her voice halfway between being condescending and generally concerned.

"I am such a fucking lovable person," I started. "It isn't my fault that all the women I date aren't. That bitch Amber cheated on me," I told her. I usually tried to keep my mum out of my love life, for obvious reasons, but sometimes she managed to wiggle her way in.

She tried not to look shocked, because my mum did take a kind of liking to my last girlfriend. Amber was the type of person that drew everyone in deeper and deeper, just so she could be the one to push you away. She brought me in, made me fall completely in love with her, and just threw it all away like garbage. She was always scared that I would do it to her, so she beat me to the chase.

"She did?" She was trying to act casual, when in reality, what Amber did was entirely out of character.

"Yeah. She did. With a married man."

"Well... then good riddance. Anyway, who's this new girl then? The one that stayed over with Millicent? I heard shouting, and peculiar noises."

"Specifics?" I returned to eating my cereal.

"Well, paraphrasing here, but I'm sure you called her and Millicent bitches and kicked them out of your bedroom, and then you and Freddie walled yourselves up in there all day. You must pee out the window or something, because I never heard that bedroom door open until this morning."