Chapter 28

Shadowleap wasn't a traitor. Coming with Hawkstar wasn't being a traitor. In fact, she had known Riverwave was there, and that's why she said yes. Hawkstar was her mate, but that didn't mean she couldn't spy on his Clan.
Shadowleap picked her way carefully through the thin saplings that dotted the rugged slope.
Greenery sprouted at the base of the trees, sucking at the sun greedily.

Hawkstar paused and the fur on his back stood rigid. "EchoClan patrol." He warned.
But I thought that I am EchoClan.
Soon three cats appeared trailing each other.
Shadowleap spotted Yellowear and Stormpelt, sniffing at the air. Behind them was Weaselgrowl. The dark brown tom had an angry look in his eyes and as he took each step, he paused, sniffing the air.
"Careful," she alerted Hawkstar. "We don't need to get caught on EchoClan territory."
On my territory.

Soon they had reached the ShadeClan camp.
Cats poked their heads out of the dens curiously, then flinched back as they saw Hawkstar. Only one cat remained. "Who's this, Hawkstar?" A voice asked.

"This, Silentwhisper, is my mate, Shadowleap, from EchoClan." He explained.
The cat Hawkstar had called Silentwhisper nodded her head and then reluctantly ducked back into the den.
Hawkstar turned back to her, his brown eyes glittering.
"I'll get you a den in there with Silentwhisper- she's expecting kits too." He flashed an agitated glance at the apparent nursery and raised his voice. "I would hope she's already making one."
Shadowleap shook her black head. "No, no it's fine. I can make my own nest."

Hawkstar glared at her and snaked his tail towards her.
Shadowleap jumped back, slowed by her huge belly. Then she fell in a gasp of pain.
Hawkstar looked frantically at her. "What's wrong?"

"I think . . . I think the kits are coming."

Oakpool and Lightningpaw were pushing there way into the nursery. "It's ok, bite onto this stick." Lightningpaw ordered.
But Shadowleap knew it was not ok. Something was wrong. She could tell by the worried look in Oakpool's eyes.
The orange she-cat was chewing herbs hurriedly. She spat them out, then pawed them into Shadowleap's gaping mouth.
Hawkstar was outside. "Is everything ok in there?" He called.

Oakpool turned her head around and snapped. "Get out of here, you mouse-brain! Go away! Get water for her, I don't care! Just go away."
Shadowleap was surprised by ShadeClan's medicine cat. Standing up to Hawkstar must be hard. And it was the reason she was here . . .
Yes, she loved Hawkstar but she should've had the strength to say no.
Hawkstar's mew replied. "Are you sure? Will she be ok?"

"Not if you keep bugging us!" Lightningpaw spoke up and Shadowleap tensed.
As Hawkstar's paw steps faded away Oakpool growled. "You'll be fine. I just need him to go away."

It seemed like only heartbeats later a tiny mewling kit was lying there. It had black fur just like her own. Just like me . . . Why did I leave? I need to go home . . . But I can't.