Chapter 25

Emberglow had been told by Shadowleap about the horrible sign. Blackwave dying, and the meaning of the poor kit's birth.
Luckily, both Windstorm and Scratchkit were healthy. Her brother was proud of his young kit and played with him everyday. Emberglow was happy for her brother.
Right now she was going to the nursery to see Ashfall and Scratchkit. The young tom was already on his feet, scampering around the camp.
Scratchkit was sitting outside the nursery, his ginger fur ruffled in the wind.
When he saw her, his eyes lit up. He raced towards her, tripping on his own paws. "Emberglow, look what I can do!" Scratchkit ordered. He suddenly halted to a stop and crouched down, his legs tucked underneath him. Then, with blue eyes sparkling, he leaped onto Emberglow.
Emberglow shook him off half heartedly. "I have to speak with your father," Emberglow announced. "I'll play with you later, ok?"

Emberglow searched his eyes. His face looked crestfallen, now, and his whiskers drooped.
Emberglow gave him a comforting lick between the ears. "I'm sorry. But your father is my brother. If you ever have younger littermates, you'll understand."
Scratchkit looked up with a defiant gaze. "I understand now." He insisted.

Emberglow sighed. "Whether you understand or not, I need to talk to Ashfall. Alone."
Scratchkit frowned, but stepped away from the entrance. "Ashfall's inside." The tom meowed.
"Thanks." Emberglow dipped her head to Scratchkit and padded inside the nursery.
"Ashfall?" She called out. "Come on, I need to speak with you."
Soon, a light-grey pelt poked his head out from a nest. Windstorm was curled beside him, faintly snoring.
"What?" He asked, blinking sleep wearily from his eyes.

"Outside." Emberglow hissed.

Ashfall got to his paws and followed Emberglow out of the nursery.
"What do you need?" He mumbled.

"The sign. It's bad. Why did Blackwave die? She was young. She didn't need it!"

Ashfall blinked. "Sometimes things just happen. We can't stop it."

"Actually, yes. Shadowleap can! Blackwave said so . . . "

"Well tell her then. I can't help you." Ashfall shrugged before turning back to the nursery. "I have to go. Windstorm needs me."

Emberglow sighed, letting her tail trail on the ground as she padded away.
She didn't know what to do.