After clambering in, the cart took off without direction and I found it disorientating trying to keep note of what I was seeing or what were passing, yet alone trying to keep my eyes open as the fierce wind rushing past us watered my eyes intensely. Just as quickly as the cart has arrived, it abruptly stopped and nausea kicked as I shakily stepped out behind the goblin who was already unlocking the door tucked into the passage wall. Green smoke billowed out as the door opened but once it cleared, mountains of gold piled high lined each wall in of the vault with columns of gold, and heaps of silver and bronze coins in between. So much gold, and all for me? There must have been some kind of mistake, surely...and yet the goblin assures me this is the right vault.

Dumbledory helps me scoop some of it into a small bag as he explains how the money works, but I already knew this from my determination to know all about the wizarding world, I'd read it in a book from Hogwarts. With another blurry, wild cart ride we were back in the Gringotts hall and stood back outside blinking rapidly as our eyes adjusted to the change of light– Dumbledory kindly waited as I return my key to my locket before we set off to get the rest of my school things. We got my robes, my school books followed by my cauldron, scales and potions from the apothecary's and then all that was left was my wand. I had a hunch this was the place Dumbledory was most eager for me to visit – if his twinkling eyes were anything to go by – but I insisted onvisiting the Owl Emporium first and my excitement won him over.

As soon as I stepped into the dimly lit shop, I began looking around at the sleeping owls and it didn't take me long for my eyes to settle on a almost black owl settled and sleeping in the very corner of the shop. "I wouldn't bother with him, if I were you," spoke the shopkeeper, noticing the direction of my gaze as he came towards us.

"Why? What kind of owl is he?"

"He's a black barn owl. Black ones are very rare, so there's been many people in who've wanted to take him home but he makes it impossible to catch him. See, he seems to be very selective about who he wants as an owner." Said the shopkeeper hopelessly, speaking volumes about the trouble he'd had trying to sell the stubborn owl.

"Does he have a name?" I enquire, at this the owl in question opens his eyes and stares at me.

"I named him Barny but you can rename him. Honestly love, you're best looking at another owl.." I ignore him and step towards the owl, never breaking eye contact.

"You're beautiful, but I think 'Shadow' is a better name for you," I murmur, smiling at the owl. Without warning, he leaves his perch and flies onto my shoulder; I carefully turn to the shopkeeper and Dumbledory grinning as I stroke the owl. "I think he prefers'Shadow' as his name. I'll take him please." Clapping, with an expression suggesting this might just be the happiest day of his life, the shopkeeper gets me Shadow's cage and some time later, we leave with a sleeping Shadow. This had to qualify as one of the best days of my life!

A wand being the only thing left for us to get, Dumbledory directs us towards Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC. which, compared to the other shops, looked narrow and shabby – especially since the single wand on display, lay on a faded purple cushion and the display window was dusty. A tiny bell announced our arrival; inside was as small as I'd anticipated, yet there was something about the place which made my stomach clench with awareness, despite the eerie silence. Narrow boxes laden the walls from floor to ceiling.

"Good afternoon, Albus," began a soft voice, no doubt belonging to the old man who'd just appeared in front of us – his wide and pale eyes seemed excessively bright given the gloom of the place. It was kind of creepy... even more so when his eyes slide to me.

"Ah, this must be Miss Evans. How very strange that you should go without a ward for so long, young lady. Then again, I'm told you don't need one...curious." Seriously, how long could this guy go without blinking? My eyes were starting to hurt and water from trying to stare him down. Thankfully he looked away as a tape measure began flitting around measuring me in all sorts of way, making me feel slightly uncomfortable until Mr Ollivander told it to stop. "The wand chooses the wizard," he told me as he handed me my first wand to test, but then just as quickly took it off me. This happened several times as a each wand of various combinations of core and wood were added to a growing pile.