Chapter 18: Reflection

Start from the beginning

"Oh?"

"I went to the park because, well, I just felt like going today. So I get there and I go to my usual place."

"Yes. Keep going."

"Well, I sat there for a few minutes, thinking, spacing out, looking around." Lauren paused.

"Yes, keep going." Emileigh said a little annoyed this time.

"Well, I got tired of just sitting there so I stood up to walk around."

"Sweetie? Honey, just get to the point."

"Fine...I saw Landon."

Emileigh squealed like a little girl. She had really liked Landon. She didn't know him that well, but he seemed like a very nice guy. Lauren would talk a lot about him and she knew that he had to be a good guy, since Lauren hates jerks or guys with a bad attitude and personality. "And....what happened?" Emileigh asked eagerly.

"Well, he was lying on the grass. So I laid down right next to him."

Emileigh gasped. "You did?"

"Mhmm."

"And...what happened next?"

"We talked."

"About."

"Stuff."

"Lauren, don't be silly. Tell me what you talked about."

"We talked about his dad, how he became blind and about-"

"About who?"

"About my brother."

Emileigh gasped again. If it was one thing she knew about Lauren was that she didn't talk to anyone else about Brett. Especially to someone that she didn't know very well. Brett had always been a sensitive topic for Lauren and if you were lucky she would tell you about him if you had passed many trust tests. It surprised Emileigh more than it probably should have.

"What?!" Emileigh exclaimed. "You talked about Brett with him?"

"Yes. He talked about his dad, how he was in the military so it automatically slipped out of my mouth."

"Hmmm...okay. Keep going."

"We just talked."

"Oh come on. We both know there's more to it than that."

Lauren looked at Emileigh and it was at moments like these when she hated that Emileigh knew her so well. She sighed and she finished. "We held hands, and I loved every second of it. And then I promised him that he was never ever going to be lonely again."

Lauren looked up at Emileigh. Emileigh looked shocked but there was also a mischievous smile on her face.

"What?!" Emileigh practically screamed. "You held hands and you liked it?!"

Lauren stood up with great haste. "Shhhh! You're being super loud. It wasn't a big deal, but yes."

"My baby is growing up." Emileigh squealed out as she pulled Lauren into a hug.

"Auntie, come on, now."

Emileigh let go of her, looking slightly embarrassed. But she managed to speak. "Tell me everything. Tell me what you felt."

Lauren sighed and closed her eyes. She knew she had to tell someone about this. And Emileigh was the only one who actually had seen Landon in person. "Well, when he held my hand I felt a warmth spread throughout my body. I can't really explain it but that's what happened. It first started through my hand and pretty soon I felt it spread through my whole body. I can't explain it. I honestly don't know how."