Chapter 3 The Faulty Pen and the Bad Boy (Reese's POV)

Start from the beginning

 I rub my leg and look her directly in the eyes this time, growling. "I know that look Gia, and this definitely is not The Look."

"Don't growl at me," she says, rolling her eyes. "All I'm saying is, he keeps staring at you, and it's definitely not a stare that says, 'Hey baby, I'm taking your job, and I feel real bad about it.'"

"Maybe he's looking at you."

She twirls her already curly hair around her finger. "Nope. Definitely looking at you."

"Regardless of who he's looking at, it doesn't matter. I don't like him."

She presses her glossy lips into a tight line and glares at me—a look I've seen many times before. "Stop looking for flaws in every single man you meet. You're never going to find Mr. Perfect. Mr. Perfect doesn't exist."

"You don't need to convince me." She just doesn't get it. I'm not interested in dating. Period. "I never said I was looking."

"You know you're terrible, right?"

The conversation ends when Professor Hornsby begins role call.

"Reese Johnson."

"Here," I say quickly, meeting the curious eyes of the handsome male across the way. "If he wants a staring contest I'll give him a staring contest," I mutter. "I do not intimidate easily." Placing the tip of my pen in my mouth I match his stare and hear Gia giggle under her breath beside me. I assume he's onto my game when a slow crooked smile spreads across his lips. Oh, he's good ... He's real good. I raise my eyebrows, throwing back my wickedest grin before my cheeks redden and betray me. What's so funny, you big cocky jerk? I'm angry and somewhat affected by the confidence radiating off his face. He leans back in his chair, now grinning from ear to ear, his hand moves in circles around his mouth. Is he asking if I enjoy his smile? What's that supposed to mean?  

 Gia taps my arm with her pen. "Does that mean he wants a kiss?"  

"I have no idea," I mumble back, desperate to win our contest.

"Oh my gosh!" Gia squeals, yanking on my arm.

"Not right now. I can't let him win this."

"Yes, right now! Reese, look at me!" She jerks me harder, trying to get my attention, but I shake my head no, refusing to look away from his annoying, confident face.

"Here," comes out of his mouth after the professor calls out a name. I'm too focused on our contest to hear what it is.

"Reese, look at me! You have ... look at me!"

"What the heck, Gia!" I say, finally snapping my head in her direction. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Go to the bathroom now!"

"What?" I ask, confused by the horrified look on her face.

"There is ink all over your mouth," she says, trying her best to keep from laughing.

"No," I whisper back, barely able to catch my breath. I look down at my pen and gasp. There is ink all over my fingers. Then it dawns on me. He was trying to tell me. He was laughing at me. Looking back over at Gia, I cover my face. "You have got to be kidding me," I mumble. "Is it bad?"

"Terrible," she says, biting back another laugh. Could I really blame her? I probably look like a complete idiot. "Don't hate me for laughing," she snorts. "I'm really trying not to."

I won't even look his direction. I can't. "I've got to get out of here."

"Go home. I'll take notes." I nod my head, still covering my mouth, and quickly bolt out of the classroom without any intention of returning for the rest of the day.