Ch. 19 - Farewell

Kind of a build up chapter. Boring but necessary.

"Shadow. Shadow, wake up." I awoke to Shade shaking me gently, my body intertwined with his comfortably. "W-what?" I mumbled sleepily, yawning and looking up. Nova was standing before us with sleeping Lost in her mouth by his scruff, and Professor Lupin standing beside her. "Professor?" I was confused. I sat up, leaning against my mate who had his arms wrapped protectively around me. It was around midnight, and the inky blackness that lay across the landscape outside was murky and ominous, even by moonlight.

"It's not safe up here any longer, for any of you. Sirius Black has been sighted in the Gryffindor tower. Professor Dumbledore wishes you to move to the Great Hall. All of you." Lupin ordered gently, glancing at Shade, who - might I say - was very topless at that point. I felt Shade tighten his grip on my body and I growled darkly, "If he has the-" Lupin looked confused now, but I didn't question him. He didn't know what Sirius had done to me. Dirty mongrel.

"Shadow." Shade's lips grazed my ear, "We need to move."

I nodded, standing up with a blanket around my shoulders. Shade swooped me into his arms and I couldn't help but relax in his grip, his firm stomach pressing into me soothingly. Nova padded beside us as Lupin lead us down the steps and through the maze of hallways. "Try and go back to sleep, if you can, mea umbra." Shade stroked my cheek and I yawned, nestling my head on his shoulder. Still, I could not sleep because the thought of Black being so close disturbed me greatly.

*

Finally, we all made it to the empty Great Hall. "Professor, do you know if James and Jenny are okay?" I asked worriedly as Shade set me down on my feet, his hand still enclosed around my waist possessively.  Professor Lupin nodded, "They are fine, Shadow. Don't worry." He smiled softly, his young face lighting up, then he walked away, out of our view.

A few pillows and duvets had been provided on the stony floor, behind the teachers chairs, so I shifted and curled up on one. I closed my eyes and felt Shade snuggle in behind me, licking my cheek and purring. "I guess we won't have any more privacy now." He chuckled lightly and I whined, "What a shame." I puffed, annoyed.

Nova was balled up beside us on another duvet, baby Lost tucked into her side with her wings over him slightly. I instinctively shuffled my wings and then settled against my mate, slowly falling asleep.

*

A dull roar echoed through my ears as I awoke, seeing Shade gazing down at me. The Great Hall was still empty but light shone through the stained windows. "I have to leave, sweetheart. I wish I could stay here and protect you, but I need to go." There was a sadness in both our eyes, but still, I nodded and licked his cheek, "I'll see you soon, baby. Don't go crazy without me." I smiled gently and he purred, nuzzling up along my side before I followed him outside to the courtyard. I didn't want him to leave me in my time of need, but duty called and I had already spent so much time with him.

Nova was waiting outside, looking uneasy. Lost was sat beside her, mewing distraughtly. She licked the cub and he quietened, but still sniffled now and again."Lost is leaving with me, Shadow. It's not safe here for him. It's-"

"-for the best. Yes. I know." I licked his shoulder and nudged him lovingly, "Farewell, Shade. I love you." Shade swung Lost onto his back and nodded, "Farewell, my love. I love you too." We all exchanged a last few licks, nudges and nuzzles before my mate set off into the forest with Nova's adopted son on his back. We could only hope they had a safe journey.

*

I sat in the Great Hall on the Slytherin table, my hand planted against my cheek as I thought deeply about ways to tear Sirius Black limb from limb. Athea Nova sat on the Gryffindor table, picking at her nails distractedly. She missed her son a lot more than she had first thought, but she was going to seem him again soon enough.

Professor Dumbledore, McGonnagall, Snape, Lupin, Trelawney, Flitwick and Sprout made their way into the Great Hall, their faces expressionless. "Good morning, Shadow." Dumbledore said as he passed me, "Morning, Professor." I muttered back, sighing and watching the teachers sit at their tables. Except, the headmaster lingered by my side, "Is something bothering you, perhaps?" He asked curiously.

"No, no, not at all Professor. Not that Sirius Black has broken into the castle and wants to kill us all, nope. Fine and dandy." I gritted sarcastically, not caring that I should have minded my tone. "Ah, of course. It's a tough life." He patted my shoulder once then walked over to his pedestal. I groaned and let my head fall against the table, wanting - needing - some sleep.

"Mornin' Shadow." James grumbled.

"Hey Shadow." Jenny sighed.

"Hey guys. Is it just me or do you have an intense urge to kill Sirius Black?" I clenched my jaw. They both nodded, "Yeah." We all flopped onto the wooden surface, observing every student that came into the Hall for breakfast.

"Why are you three so down? Harry Potter might finally be gone by the weeks end." A bitter voice cut through my ears and I growled darkly, "I'd rather it was yo-"

"Shadow! Be nice!" Jenny scolded, but I snapped my head round to look at her, "No." I quipped, a bad mood besetting me. Draco Malfoy smirked, "Yeah. Don't forget who's side your on." He drawled, trying to be smart. Not a good idea.

"Why don't you?! You're the biggest bitch I've ever met, and that includes Pansy Parkinson." I spat, whizzing around in my chair and standing up, my green-hazel eyes darkening as I held back my urge to shift. "Shadow wait-" Jenny called after me.

I growled, "No. I'm done with this." I snapped, storming away. I shoved past Fred and George Weasley on my way. They rubbed their arms and stared after me, "Someone's in a bad mood." They uttered lowly, sitting beside Ginny, Ron and Harry on their table.

I marched out the hall, the raging emotions taking control. I barged past everybody, holding back the tears that were inevitably going to come.

*

The clock tower.

I cried and cried, but no matter how much I let out everything, it left me with more bottled up questions.

My facade was cracking.

I was getting unstable - I had to do something. And soon.