Ch. 15 - Little Talks

Professor Lupin laughed gently, "Of course. Your secret is safe with me." He smiled warmly and I relaxed, feeling Shade nuzzling my hair discreetly, inhaling my scent deeply. "But your friends, Jenny and James, have been looking for you. They're in the Great Hall." He informed me, before stepping down the stairwell and out of sight.

I turned to my handsome mate, grazing my fingertips down his cheek, "I have to go." I whispered softly, out lips merely millimeters apart. Shade's eyes met mine and for a moment, I thought I saw a deep sadness in him that even I couldn't begin to comprehend. We shared one last passionate kiss before I swept away, telling him I loved him and how much he meant to me.

*

I walked into the Great Hall, my dark demeanor back in place, barricading the feelings from appearing in my eyes. A few students turned to look at me, but apart from a few low murmurings, I got nothing else which I was pleased about. I didn't like attention very much - still don't.

I brushed past Athea Nova without knowing, until she turned round and I saw her face. I gave her a short nod, "Athea." I said. "Shadow." She replied, smiling knowingly. The corners of my lips tugged up very slightly as I glanced down at her brown satchel, and saw a little bulge where Lost was most likely sleeping. I gave the table she was sitting at a curt nod, then sat down beside Jenny and James.

"Long time, no see." I muttered, smirking until Jenny slapped my arm and I whined, "You're just jealous I have a ma- I mean, male friend." I quipped at her and she narrowed her eyes, gesturing to James, on my other side, who was struggling to stay awake over his cereal bowl. We watched him a while longer, then shook our heads and sighed when sleep won over him and he face-planted his food.

"That is not a male friend." I gave her a cheeky grin and she just chuckled. "Okay, I guess you're right there. What about Harry?" She tried, biting her lip as she glanced at Malfoy, her cheeks going a slight red. Ugh - girls!

"He's your goddamn brother, Jenny."

"Ron?"

"Ginger."

"Wha- hey! That's not nice!" She scolded me.

I shrugged, "Just sayin'."

"What about... Draco Malfoy?" Her eyes took on a shimmer of something I could not read. I stared at her with a hard set expression, pressing my knuckles against my cheek in thought. She was being smart here and it was doing her no good. I took a big breath and she fist pumped, before I held up a hand.

"If all evidence shown, adds up correctly, then my calculations say that you have... feelings, for him?" I ran a hand through my dark hair then began putting a few things on my plate for breakfast such as sausages, brioche and various fruits. Coughing spluttering, Jenny gaped at me with wide eyes, not able to say a word. "So, if that is true, then I assume he is more than just a male friend, correct?"

*

Jenny grumbled and grouched about love and crushes and, I quote, 'sexy, blonde hairstyles'. I chuckled quietly at everything she said, watching James stir and twitch in his sleep. "What should I do, Shadow?" Jenny mumbled, looking at me with desperate eyes. I mused, "Take him to bed. He looks exhausted."

"What?! I'm not going to do that!"

"I meant James, you dirty-minded teenager. The moon isn't doing him any good." I rolled my eyes and Jenny relaxed, peering at me as I got up from the table and stretched, sighing while I did so. "You're the love expert here. Tell me what to do." Jenny whined, standing up and placing her hand on my shoulder.

I gave her a stern look, "I'm no love expert, Jenny." I muttered, shrugging her hand off and walking away.

"What about Shade?!" She yelled after me. The whole room's conversation quietened to a dulled hush, many eyes on us at that moment. I clenched my hands into fists, "Don't bring him into this." I grit out, whipping around and facing my friend with the hardest, darkest expression carved into my face. From my peripheral vision, I could see a few flinched at how dangerous I appeared to be.

"He's your mate, is he not?" Jenny called, unaffected by my look.

"That is different. I'm a Claw, and you're a human." I hissed, keeping my hands folded over my chest to avoid lashing out at her.

"So what? You have a human form."

"Changes nothing. Our chemistry is the same. Solve your problem by yourself, Jenny, and keep away from my mate." I snarled, turning on my heel, shifting, then padding rapidly out the hall; leaving a newly discovered gossip to spread through the school like wildfire was a bad idea. I should have been more careful, then maybe I wouldn't have indirectly shown a certain spectator my weakness.

However, what I did not know at that point, was that Shade wasn't my weakness. I may have done anything to keep him close to me, and as safe as possible, but if he told me to leave him then I would have done so too. No, my real weaknesses were always by my side, always there for me and always a shoulder to lean on for support.

My weaknesses were my two best friends; for in time of need, I would have never left them for anything.