Ch. 7 - Fear (Part 1)

HEADS UP --> I'm splitting this chapter into two short chapters because there a few details that I will either not remember or I need clarification from certain someones close to me who went through this story with me :D.

Also, this chapter is a mix of the movie and the book. ;)

"Loony, loony Lupin!" Peeves sang as he whirled down the hallways. I rolled my eyes, "Ghosts." James, Jenny and I said at the same time. We all laughed and move into the D.A.D.A. classroom (Defense Against the Dark Arts). "This should be good." James grinned excitedly, bounding up and down. Jenny grabbed his arm, "Quiet James. It's starting." She whisper-hissed.

Snape stormed past a few students and slammed the door on his way out, "What was that about?" I raised an eyebrow then returned my gaze to Professor Lupin.

"Now then," Lupin began, gesturing towards an old wardrobe that gave a sudden rumble. Whispers set the room ablaze, "Calm yourselves, class. It's only a Boggart." The Professor stated calmly. "These creatures like dark enclosed spaces, for example, I once came across one that had wedged itself into an ancient grandfather clock. So, the first question is, what exactly is a Boggart?"

Hermione's hand shot up first.

"It's a shape-shifter, and can transform into our worst fears." She said matter-of-factly.

The rest of the questions were a bit of a bore to me, so I zoned out and fantasized about Shade and the future we had. Jenny soon knocked me back to reality as we practiced the Riddikulus charm.

Draco Malfoy scoffed behind us, "This class is riddikulus." He uttered bitterly.

*

A few questions and a whole lot of worrisome glances later, Lupin had set an old music player on and made us queue up to face our fears. The Boggart cracked and went from Professor Snape, to a banshee, to a a mummy, to a rattlesnake, to a a severed hand to a giant six-feet spider, then it came down to Jenny then me, with James behind Harry who was behind Jenny who was in front of me.

"What do you think your fear is, Shadow?" Jenny asked me, seemingly calm and collected. I scoffed, "Me, afraid? Pah." I chuckled, my eyes hardening as I turned serious, "I'm not quite sure. Perhaps hot metal... or death eaters." I said, instinctively rubbing my left bicep; the death eaters had gone to extreme lengths only to find that neither James or I would ever break. Jenny gave me a sympathetic look but I brushed her off - I didn't appreciate sympathy or pity. "I'm pretty sure mine is darkness." Jenny stated confidently, however I thought differently. If she was afraid of the darkness, she would never have stayed friends with me. Though, I did not say anything, for I was curious to see what Jenny's darkest weakness was.

Jenny stepped forward and the last creature (a legless spider) rolled back and forth slightly for a moment, pending on what it was going to turn into. In less than a second, Draco Malfoy and another girl holding each other while kissing passionately. Jenny's eyes widened and whispers flew around the room, "R-r-riddikul-l-lus!" She stuttered, and the Boggart cracked loudly before whipping around the air and changing into Draco again but this time, he was sprawled on the floor, splattered with crimson blood. The closer I looked, I could see my own bloodied body, along with James' and Harry Potters. Jenny had tears streaming down her cheeks as she pointed her wand shakily at the Boggart. "Riddikulus." She rasped and it fizzled out, the dark scene fading into a haze of grey mist. Jenny sobbed violently as she sprinted down the classroom and outside, covering her face with her hands.

I gave Jenny a look that said 'I'm going to talk about this after the lesson' as she passed me then I stepped forward to face whatever may stand in my way - my thoughts clouded and misjudging. The Boggart cracked once more before forming into a bloodied corpse with a glowing Claw standing over it. I growled, pointing my wand at the vile creature. This wasn't just any fear - it was a warning - for what I did not know is that one day, I would have to make a choice and that scene could have been one of the many outcomes.

The corpse was Shade and the living creature was a Light Claw, gazing at me with a dangerous smirk. My eyes darkened with concentrated rage, "Riddikulus!"