Ch. 8 - Insomnia

The next week did no good to me whatsoever. The fat lady painting entrance to the Gryffindor common room had been ripped and shredded. The culprit? Sirius Black.

My nemesis was in the castle; the man who had ruined my life by shutting me away with my two best friends. Not only that, but he was part of James' worst fear, also being his father. Not only that, but I had began having nightmares, that kept me up at night - all night, every night. I would wake up screaming out 'Shade' with sweat beading my head and tears running down my cheeks. That had happened five times at that point and the Slytherins were getting fed up with me so I no longer slept in the common room.

*

I padded back and forth at the top of the clock tower, Nova sat in the corner with her head bent down. I'd been driving not only her, but myself crazy with my constant muttering and research. It didn't help that my recent insomnia made me ten times worse because I couldn't function properly. The sunset in the distance did nothing to ease my anxiety, or whatever had been plaguing my mind.

"Shadow," Nova whispered, making my head snap to her with narrowed eyes, "You should talk to Snape. He could.. you know, solve your sleeping probl-" Her eyes widened as I interrupted her harshly.

"It's not a goddamn problem!!" I snarled viciously, turning my body to face her. I padded towards her and she whimpered, lowering her head to the ground and flattening her ears against her head. I growled softly, "Come here, Nova." I spoke gently, reigning in my anger. It wasn't fair that I took everything out on her - she was only trying to help. I knew that but I somehow couldn't accept it. Gradually, the smaller Claw made her way over to me. I tucked her into my side as I lay down, drooping my wing over her body and settling comfortably. "I'm sorry, Nova. You're practically my kit." I said, nudging her head and licking her ears to soothe her. She nodded and cuddled into me further, warming herself up.

"I will speak to Snape tomorrow,I'll see what he says and maybe I can get my... issue, solved." I rested my head down on my paws; the compassionate breeze alleviated my spirits and I was soon trying desperately to stay awake, for fear of the torturous fantasies returning with a vengeance. Nova noticed my inside battle through the pained expression in my eyes, so she cleaned my fur to distract me. I yawned reluctantly, and not long after I had no choice but to close my eyes and surrender to the darkness that I so wished would never come.

*

Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade. Shade.

Shade!

"Shade!!" I wailed, my body erupting into a fevered sweat as I awoke but the first thing I noticed is that Nova was no longer tucked up under my wing, but conversing with another Claw on the balcony. They spun to me, and my heart almost exploded when I saw Shade padding towards me slowly, his eyes hard but tinted with a heart-warming love. Tears flowed freely down my furry cheeks as he nuzzled my neck, licking my cheek and curling around my shivering body.

My insides immediately relaxed at his touch, relishing the feel of fur against fur. Shade and I touched foreheads, purring deeply while we greeted each other without the need for words. "I've missed you, sweetheart." Shade's voice made me melt as I gazed at him longingly. "I've missed you too, Shade." I whispered, sliding my head under his chin.

"But you're not upholding your part of the promise, Shadow." There was a hardness in his voice then, that made me whimper and expose my neck to him. He licked me gently, telling me he did not want an apology. "You need to stay strong for me, sweetheart. I can't bear to see you this way." He spoke with pained eyes, cuddling my fur lovingly. I purred softly, "I finally know what it means to let someone in, Shade. I don't want to lose you."

"You won't."

I noticed Nova had disappeared, most likely to give us some privacy. I lay my head on Shade's paws, no longer fearing anything now that I had my mate beside me. Not even the nightmares that I knew wouldn't come any longer.

I couldn't keep calling out to him though, and drawing him away from his Alpha work. I felt selfish but protective of him, like a mother. I sighed quietly in my sleep, the thought of having a kit appealing to me at that point. Having my own family, maybe even another Shadow Claw could be born. Somehow I knew that was impossible though, since it was a dangerous time to be thinking of kits. Light Claws had been spotted all over the far forest, not that much a way from Shade's pack.

My heart beat increased but I felt Shade's presence pressed beside me, so the panic quickly dissapated. I fantasized about what my family would be like.

"Shadow, sweetheart, wake up." My eyes flickered open to see Shade smiling at me. "Our little warriors are awake." He said softly, nudging me to my paws. I laughed gently, padding outside to see my two cubs playing around. Out first born was a male, strong and handsome like his father. Kitai was his name, picked by his father. Kitai had darker fur than Shade but not as dark as mine, with a grey stripe down his back that spiked out at the sides like a rib cage. He was one year old and already learning to hunt small animals.

Our second born was a female, kind and beautiful. She was called Snowy after the snowstorm that she was born in. Snowy was three months old, and had the purest white fur any Claw had ever seen. She had light grey markings down the spine of her back, and along her little tail.

I purred in amusement at the sight before me. A few cubs from other families had come to see the new heirs to the Alpha title. A small, male water Claw inspected Snowy curiously, sniffing her fur and squeaking happily. Kitai growled at the cub and stood over his sister protectively, "Mine!" He nuzzled Snowy and she mewed loudly, not too keen on the attention. She began to cry out, her little wails signalling it was my time to shine.

I padded out of the entrance of the cave, with Shade right beside me, our fur brushing now and again. I lay down around my cubs, tucking Snowy into my front paws while Kitai climbed ontop of my back, curling up and purring lightly. Shade sat beside us, bending his head down and licking my cheek with a deep love in his eyes. I returned his lick, watching the other cubs play around and play fight.

I really had found my paradise, where I had started my family and joined something bigger than all of us.

*

 "Shade, honey?" I asked quietly after we had put the cubs to bed and the sun had set over the horizon of trees. Shade entwined our tails, purring gently, "Yes, sweetie?" He responded, nuzzling my neck, resulting in a deep purr from my throat. "I love you." I said to him. Shade laughed, smirking at me with his crooked grin that I loved so much, "I love you too, sweetheart. More than you will ever know." He murmured, pressing his nose into my fur.

I gave him a lick on the cheek, "I know everything, so I know how much you love me." I retorted cheekily. Shade raised an eyebrow and rolled over so he had me pinned beneath him, "Are you being cheeky?" He purred huskily, making me shiver with pleasure. "Possibly." I uttered, tightening my tail around his back leg. He leaned down and nudged me gently, burying his muzzle in my dark fur.

"Mea umbra."  My Shadow.

"Mea lux." My Light.

Ooh so I kinda hit the feels this chap ^_^. I promised a longer chapter so there you go!! Hope you enjoyed it!!