Chapter TwentySix

Sha’riah

“So what you saying cuz? Look at the amount of people that’s come to see man. You got anything to say?” I watched as Marcus took hold of the microphone.

“Yeah. Thanks for coming everyone, I appreciate all the birthday wishes from the mans, and the dances from the girls. You all look stunning by the way.” People began to clap and the girls screeched happily.

“We love you Marcus,” some girls from school said loudly in unison. I shook my head slowly. Marcus really was a ladies man.

“There’s still time to party hard, so everyone shake a leg and enjoy yeah?” Everyone cheered and his cousin laughed.

“So boss, you want us to sing happy birthday or what?” He shook his head.

“Nah, too old for that.” Everyone laughed and the DJ cleared his throat.

“Alright people. Party’s still live, let’s bring it back.” Once the music started, everything else was forgotten and the dancing began. I watched on intently, taking in the party vibe as I sipped my Bacardi Breezer. I briefly wondered where Hector disappeared to, then soon shrugged the thought off. I turned back to the DJ panel to see Marcus was no longer there. Probably gone to sex up Monica again. I gulped down the rest of my beverage when Tanisha sauntered over. She was glistening with sweat and out of breath.

“You look wasted,” she said over the music.

“I feel it,” I muttered.

“Why don’t you dance for abit?”

“So I can fall over?” She rolled her eyes.

“Did you find Marcus?” I nodded and she awaited any juicy gossip.

“There’s nothing to tell,” I grumbled. She frowned slightly.

“You’re boring. I’m gonna go back to Jordan.”

I raised a brow. “Who’s Jordan?”

“Some hot ting. He can dance y’kna.” She winked at me before slinking away into the centre of the room. I sighed deeply and remained in the chair for a while. A few boys that I didn’t know came over to talk to me, and eventually we were all sharing a bottle of alcohol they had brought with them. I wasn’t sure how old they were, but they definitely weren’t my age.

“How old are you b?” One lanky boy questioned, sipping from his plastic cup.

“Fifteen,” I answered with a hiccup. All 4 of them exchanged looks, and then the light-skinned one turned to me.

“Are you lying?”

I swirled the drink around in a cup before glancing at him. “Why would I lie?”

He shrugged. “Some girls lie about their age.”

“I have no reason to lie.”

Another one leaned closer with a small smile. “You’re sexy for a fifteen year old.”

I frowned slightly. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen. You a virgin?” My eyes widened at the blunt question. Suddenly I stood up and they all watched me.

“I think this is where we part ways,” I said, handing him my cup. They all begged me to stay and talk to them but I walked (stumbled) off with a scowl on my face. God, is that all boys care about? I then paused when I realised that it actually was. Society revolved around sex! I heard commotion outside and stepped through the front door to see Marcus on the floor unconscious with people surrounding him. I gasped and ran closer, analysing his body. His clothes were dirty and torn, and his face was covered in blood.