Chapter 2: A Boy Named Sole!

Start from the beginning

"So...le."

"Well that's your name, isn't it?'

I nod, though unsure. She picks up my futon and carries it into a bedroom carefully.

"This used to be my husbands work room. Sometimes he'd sit in here for hours," she smiles, "now you can call it your bedroom."

"My temporary bedroom."

She gives me a look that seems like she is disappointed. But I could be wrong.

"Have a good nights rest, Sole."

I nod as she begins to shut the door.

"Wait," she glances back in, "um...thanks, lady."

"It's Misau. Nice to meet you, Sole."

I nod again and she shuts the door silently. Laying back on the futon, I bite my bottom lip. All of the real questions I wanted to ask her yet I knew she could not answer. Where did I come from? Who am I? Why am I here?

I glance at my right arm, examining every detail of it. It is lovely in crafting and natural movement, like any normal arm would be for anyone. Besides the color and the metallic texture of it, it seemed modeled after a human arm. I stare at the sky, my arm tucked beneath me for warmth. I stare out the window before slowly slipping to sleep.

I dream of monsters who eat people alive. A girl being bitten in half and then swallowed and a woman who's stomach is torn out by monsters.

I sit up quickly, looking around for anything that I can empty my stomach into.The door slides open, the little girl slips in and I end up vomiting the contents of my stomach into the bucket she has held in her tiny hands.

This sick feeling really feels familiar.

When i'm finished, she gives me a surprised look and then carries the bucket back out. I gag again but nothing comes out. Light seeps in through the closed window, giving me the impression that it is morning time.

"Why do I have to dream of something that sickening?"

The door slides open again and the little girl is back with a clean bucket and a bag.

"If you feel sick you should throw up into this bag. Not the water bucket, silly."

She hands me the bag and places the bucket next to my futon. Then she proceeds in grabbing the rag that is submerged in the water, squeezing it out and practically pushes me down to put it on my forehead.

"This will keep the Caravala away."

I stare at the little girl. She has a sad smile on her face as she places the cool rag on my head. It smells like flowers to me but I could be wrong.

"Yeah right, stupid! He is a Caravala! Look at his arm! And his red eyes! Why are you helping him, Tsubame!"

The girl shoots a look at her brother who pouts against the doorway. I look at him, he's obviously frightened by me. His fists are twitching and he is ready to pounce on me in a second, just like earlier.

"What is a Caravala?"

Hikari glares at me.

"You should know, monster..."

Tsubame scowls at him.

"A Caravala is a dangerous monster. It's usually bigger than a human and they vary in shapes and sizes. Some can even turn into a human if they eat enough of them," Tsubame hisses beneath her breath, "they are disgusting beasts."

I nod slowly. The looks on these kids faces tell me that they've been through a lot in their lives.

"Can I ask you...about your father? He was eaten, right?"