Chapter 11

Camila's POV 

When I decided to go look for Lauren and Maia, I was expecting to find them conversing in a heart to heart conversation. Instead, I was face to face with an all too familiar situation I had unfortunately experienced before. The stalls in the bathroom were all empty, but I could hear things rustling around and moving in the hidden corner most of the inmates had used to their advantage. That was when my heart practically fell out of my chest after breaking into millions of pieces. 

Maia was straddling Lauren on the ground and they were totally oblivious to the fact that I was standing there. Lauren's hands were wrapped around Maia's waist as Maia carefully cupped Lauren's cheeks. It was obvious that they were comfortable with what they were doing. Their lips moved softly against each other, making it hard to believe that this meant nothing to them. I could only watch in shock for a few seconds before gasping loudly and storming out of the room. 

My first instinct was to talk to one of the girls, but I definitely didn't want everyone to figure out why I had been acting so weird lately. I passed several rooms before realizing how much I was crying. A few people asked if I was ok while I stormed past them, but I just pretended as if I couldn't hear them. I tried my best to wipe away my tears before arriving at my bunk and quickly crawling into my extremely uncomfortable bed. 

"I'm so dumb to believe she would ever like me," I whispered to myself. Eventually, I gave up on figuring out what to do or when was an appropriate time to leave. 

---

Narrator POV

Lauren and Maia only locked eyes on Camila for a split second before she ran away and was completely out of sight. Maia had no idea that Camila had feelings for Lauren, therefore she was understandably confused at why the younger girl was so upset. However, Lauren instantly felt guilty for doing what she promised herself she wouldn't do. She told herself she would never break anyone's heart upon entering the detention center, and she was prepared to fix the mess she had since created. 

"I don't even know where she went," Lauren explained to Maia.

"I have no idea either. I feel horrible, but I don't really get why she's been acting so weird all of a sudden..."

The two girls reentered the room their friends all remained in with thirty minutes left of break time. She knew she was going to have to find Camila and talk to her before the rotation occurred, leaving the situation almost completely out of her hands. 

"Hey guys...do you know where Camila could possibly be?" Lauren asked the group of girls with concern in her voice.

"She went to look for you both in the bathroom awhile ago...what happened?" Ally asked curiously.

"N-Nothing," Lauren stuttered. "I'm going to go check our bunk."

"I'll go with you!" Maia interjected. 

"No....I want to do this alone."

---

Lauren entered their bunk to find Camila completely submerged under her blankets, sniffling here and there while she moved around aimlessly. Not knowing what to do without upsetting her even more, Lauren took a seat at the edge of the small bed and placed one of her hands gently on Camila. 

"Camila.." she whispered. "Can I talk to you?"

"Go away!" Camila's muffled voice answered back. 

"Listen....I know you probably don't want to hear what I have to say, but you might actually like it," She began. "I'm really sorry and you don't have to listen to this. I have a song that really describes what I want to say and I'm going to sing it to you. If you don't want to hear what I have to say after that, you don't ever have to talk to me again."

Silence. 

Lauren took a deep breath and closed her eyes before beginning the song with very little confidence that it would make any difference. 

I wanna tell you you're beautiful,
In a way that you have not heard before,
But I don't think it's gonna work,
Cause I'm not good with words.

I wanna tell you you're the reason why,
The earth spins and the stars hang in the sky,
But I don't think it's gonna fly,
Cause I'm not good with words.

If only I could find a way,
To say it like them poets say,
Sing a sweet and simple serenade,
Directly to your heart.

If only I could speak aloud,
Just what I feel when you're around,
I'd finally confess my love in verse,
But I'm not good with words.

If I was just like Shakespeare,
Whispering sweet sonnets in your ear,
I'd tell you everything you want to hear,
But I'm not good with words.

If only I could find a way,
To say it like them poets say,
Sing a sweet and simple serenade,
Directly to your heart.

If only I could speak aloud,
Just what I feel when you're around,
I'd finally confess my love in verse,
But I'm not good with words.

Sentences or conversation,
Oh words they only bring me complication,
And when it comes to love,
I'm useless just full of bad excuses,
And confessions gone unheard.

If only I could find a way,
To say it like them poets say,
Sing a sweet and simple serenade,
Directly to your heart.

If only I could speak aloud,
Just what I feel when you're around,
I'd finally confess my love in verse,
But I'm not good with words.  

 A few seconds passed before Camila slowly lifted her head from beneath the covers, revealing her red puffy eyes before a small smile appeared across her lips.