Bad News

We reached the jail and they threw me in the slammer. This was my worst nightmare! Harvard isn't going to except a girl with jail on their personal record!

After a full night of talking to myself the officers that escorted me out of my home unlocked the cell.

"Kasey Vern you are free to go."

"Hallelujah! Did I get bailed?" I ask as they escort me to where Josh is sitting.

"No Paul is no longer under the influence of alcohol and turns out you were right." They say as I gave Josh a hug.

"So what happens to Paul?" I ask still angry but also concerned.

"Well until he's bailed out he stays here."

I look at Josh and he gives me a look that reads we are helping him aren't we?

I pulled out a one hundred dollar bill and Josh pulled out a fifty, which equaled the total to the cost of Paul's bail money.

"Kase are you sure you want to do this, you earned this from your part time job at the book store all summer, your really gonna use it on Paul?" Josh asks as we head to the front desk to pay the money.

"Look Josh I'm not forgiving him, I know he screwed up, but we can't just leave him there."

"Yeah we can."

I roll my eyes as the lady at the desk took the money and reported back that Paul was free to go. Josh and I tried to exit the station as fast as we could but Paul caught up to us.

"Oh my gosh thank you guys so, so much!" Paul said as he leaned in for a kiss but I dodged him.
"Kase what's going on, what happened last night?" He asks turning to Josh who was shaking his head.

"Too drunk to remember Huh?" Josh says as he entered the car waiting for me.

"Drunk? Oh shit."

"Yea oh shit definitely." I say heading towards the car but Paul stops me.

"Kasey why are you so mad at me? What did I do?" He asks.

Tears start rolling down my eyes, as I tilt my head down.

"Kasey talk to me." He says as he tries to come closer but I step back.

"Talk to the girl you kissed last night." I say as I get in the car and break down.

"Kasey wait!" He cries, but it's too late Josh has already left the parking lot.

"Ok how about we go to my house?" Josh says as I manage to nod my head.

We reached his house in 10 minutes time and lucky enough no one was home to see me like this, except his dog Suzy.

"Josh I don't know what to do." I say as we reach his bedroom.

"Kasey did you forget you guys aren't even actually dating."

"I know that but we had this thing that I felt like I never had with last guys I've liked our dated. Now all that's gone." I reply as I climbed in his bed. He came and sat down beside me.

"Get some rest alright? I'll go get some Chinese takeout. I know it's your favourite!" He says trying to make me smile but it doesn't work.
"Be back in 10!"

After Josh left my head was pounding from all the crying. I felt like there was just a banging inside that wouldn't stop. Then I realized, the banging wasn't coming from my head, it was coming from the window. Then I saw him. Paul Ardley inside a tree.

I walked to the window then opened it.
"Paul what the hell are you doing." I say as he climbed in.

"Kasey you have to talk to me I was drunk I didn't know what i was doing!"

"First you drink under-aged then you get drunk, and then you have me arrested for something you did!" I say as I began pacing back and fourth.

"It was one mistake, aren't you the one who says we learn from our mistakes." He says as he comes closer to me.

"Yeah like the mistake of liking you!" I shout as I pull away from him and start walking downstairs.

He still follows as if he can't take a hint.

"Liking me was a mistake! Kasey I'm in love with you!"

I stop for a moment and turn around.

"Well I don't feel the same way." I say trying to find the only thing that will make him leave. If I say I don't love him he will leave me alone, but I really do love him.

"I don't believe you Kase. The first time I met you I knew there was something about you. And I think you feel it too." He says as he leaned in close to me.

Our lips almost touched when Josh walked in and pulled Paul to the ground. You could hear how hard his body fell in the creaks of the floorboards.

"That's for my best friend!" Josh shouted as he walked over to Paul who Was now on the ground and kicked him in the gut. "And that's for me."

"Josh that's enough I think he gets it." I say trying to stop any tension.

Paul stood up and punched Josh in the face.

He started walking back and suddenly slipped on a soya sauce packet from the Chinese takeout causing him to land on his back.

"Josh!" I shout as I ran to him. Josh was no longer moving. "Paul what the hell!"

"I didn't mean to hurt him it was just his back." He snaps back.

I called 911. "Josh stay with me!" I shouted but his eyes were still moving.

Suddenly the sounds of sirens loudened and the ambulance came through the door taking Josh on a stretcher and into the vehicle.

"I'll meet you at the hospital." I whisper to Josh hoping he could still hear me.

"Kasey let me give you a ride." Paul says as he grabbed his keys from the floor.

"Haven't you done enough!" I say as I began to cry.

"I'm sorry but Josh needs you so let's go!" He says as I followed him to the car.

We drove to the hospital in complete silence.

Once we arrived we ran straight in and to the front desk.
"I'm looking for Josh Noah's room." I say to the lady at the front.

"I'm sorry you cannot be accessed to see Mr. Noah's at this time." She says gesturing for Paul and I to take a seat.

We waited an hour when Dr. Nilsson, the doctor who treated my injury, walked towards us.
"Kasey." He says looking at me in fear.

"Yes is Josh ok Dr. Nilsson? I ask as both Paul and I stood up.

"I'm so sorry Ms. Vern but it's worse than we thought.

"Worse? I thought it was just a back injury." I ask as I move closer to Paul. Even though this was his fault I was glad he was here with me.

He smiled and held me tight in his arms.

"I'm so sorry to say this but your friend  has gone into coma."