CHAPTER 37 - Snow World

The dress that Sindhu wore when she went to her in-laws house was attached. Someone asked me how she looked. So, here it is..

---

Karthik was lounging on bed, thinking deeply about everything Sindhu confessed that afternoon. Loving him without even knowing his name, agreeing to marry him, staying strong amidst his irrational behavior, fighting for his love; all of this seemed so unreal to him. Yet, it can't get any more real.

How can someone do so much for a person, expecting nothing in return?

How was he so lucky? What good did he do in life, to get a partner like her?

Sindhu stirred in her sleep, adjusting her head on his chest making him run his fingers through her hair, unconsciously.

"You aren't asleep?" Her soft voice shifted his attention to her.

"It's not even 9" he replied, playing with her hair.

"Or you are thinking too much" she stated casually, as if it's the most obvious thing.

Her statement made him chuckle. How can she know so much about him?

"I assure you, my thoughts are quite rational" he said with a smile.

"What should I do to make you forget the past?" she asked seriously.

When he stayed silent, she added "Karthik. There's no use being stuck up on what already happened. We have a bright future and that's all that matters"

"I know. But--- But, I can't forget everything I did to you. Everything I said to you."

She groaned "You did nothing. I was the one who agreed to marry you, when you made it clear that you hated me. I was--- Wait.. In the afternoon, you told me you liked me the first time. What was that?"

He sighed "It's the truth"

Seeing her perplexed at his answer, he said "When I first saw you in your house, I was very angry--"

She intervened "Clearly. You were glaring at me the whole--"

"You don't understand. I was angry because I liked you. I was angry because I was worried you'd make me forget Tulasi"

She looked confused "I don't get you. Shouldn't you be happy if I'll make you forget Tulasi?"

He ran his fingers over his hair "May be. But at that time, I didn't want that. I didn't want to forget Tulasi. It felt like being unfaithful to her"

"She was married"

"I know. But I couldn't help feeling it. I was---" he shuddered, remembering that day "I don't want to talk about it. Please let it go"

"Fine, I will; if you stop digging the past"

That's almost impossible. But if it makes you happy, I can try.

He nodded making her smile and snuggle into his arms.

As minutes passed, she dozed off while his disturbing thoughts never left his mind. He still remembered the first time he saw Sindhu, at her house.

She looked beautiful in the red saree she wore that day. He really liked the color on her which is why he bought a similar one as a gift for their six month anniversary.

He liked her the minute she stepped out of her room. Like Sindhu said, he felt the connection too but he wasn't ready at that time. He wasn't ready to let go Tulasi.

He was angry at his mother for bringing him there, angry at Sindhu for looking so damn perfect, angry at himself for liking the way she looked when she's not the woman he loved. And the way she tried to be a perfect wife later, only augmented every negative feeling.