CHAPTER 17 - He can be happy

Karthik was working in his cabin when Ravi poked in as usual, without knocking.

"Hey. What are you doing?"

He diverted his attention from the monitor to his friend "Client mails, discussions with Project Manager; the usual stuff. Why?"

"Let's go to Canteen then" Ravi said cheerfully.

"Now?" Karthik asked, looking at his watch.

When Ravi nodded, he locked his system and left the room.

"So, your project's done?" Karthik asked, sipping his tea.

"My work is done; it's up to the testing team now"

"Is that the reason for your cheerfulness?" he asked with a smile.

Ravi beamed "Yes. I can finally have a vacation that my wife wants since last summer"

"Kerala?"

"Yes. My PM finally allowed me to use my leaves. Now, I am can take a two week break"

Karthik chuckled "So, what places are you planning to visit in Kerala?"

"Whatever my wife wants to see. I am sure she decided everything"

"Aren't you the wife lover?" he chided sarcastically.

"Aren't you the wife hater?" Ravi said imitating him.

"I don't hate my wife" Karthik blurted out.

Ravi's eyes widened "You mean you love your wife?"

"I didn't say that"

"But, you said you don't hate her. That has to mean---"

Karthik scowled "She is my wife. I don't need to explain to you what I feel for her"

"Which means you love her but you don't want to admit it"

"Let's go back. I have work" Karthik said, changing the topic.

Ravi was glad of the changes in Karthik. His friend is not someone who wears his heart on his sleeve making it difficult to understand what's going on, in his head. But, he is almost sure that Karthik is in love with his wife.

****

Karthik sighed in relief, seeing Shyamala's family vacate their apartment. He was worried that Srinivas might try something on Sindhu again to seek revenge. But, he can't stay with her all the time as he had a job to do. However, he told Govind and Lakshmi to keep an eye on Srinivas until his family moved out. He can finally relax now and not worry about Sindhu's safety anymore.

"You look happy" Sindhu muttered, as she saw him enter the house in a rather cheerful mood.

"What?" he exclaimed as he found her observing him carefully.

"You look happy" she said scratching her head, looking at him as if he is some sort of a lunatic.

"So what? Shouldn't I be happy?" he said shrugging.

"You know how to be happy?" she asked in a surprised tone.

He glared "You know how to ruin my mood"

She chuckled "It's not my mistake if I've never seen you happy. So, how's your day at work? Did you get a hike or what?"

"You think I am happy because I got hike in salary?" When she nodded, he added "No, I didn't get a hike. How's your day?"

"It was the same; movies and books. Um... Shyamala from next door came to apologize and tell that they're moving out today"

He stiffened "Her husband didn't come, right?"