Chapter 23

-Troye-

It just hit half past seven as I rummaged through my dresser. The dance was drawing near as it starts at eight. When I returned from my shower, I didn't see any trace of Con. I just assumed he was visiting someone or he was getting ready for the dance with his hair or something.

I stood there in my underwear as I pulled out a pair of skinny ripped jeans and slipped them on. I slammed the drawer shut, reaching for the one above it and pulling it out of its position. I tossed multiple shirts and tops aside or out. I worked my way down to the bottom to see a dark blue collared button-down. I threw the shirt over my bare skin and buttoned the shirt up to the collar.

Marcus, Niomi, Alfie, Zoë, Tanya, and Caspar made a plan to meet Joe, Con, and I at a quarter before eight. This was beginning to feel like prom or homecoming. All the kids being dressed up in mediocre clothes and being watched over by counselors to make sure they 'save room for Jesus.'

It was 7:40 now, and I teased my hair into slight curls of the side of my head, only thanks to Connor, who packed a portable mirror. As I tossed the mirror blindly over my shoulder onto Connor's bed, I heard a small object hit the floorboards. There lay a small leather pocketbook laying on the ground. It was Con's journal.

As if the sense of déjà vu wasn't enough, I walked towards the edge of the bed and picked up the book. Curing my curiosity, I turned to the latest page.

Let us always meet each other with a smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.

Sometimes, the heart sees what is invisible to the naked eye.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

Friends can help each other. A true friend is someone who lets you have total freedom to be yourself - and especially to feel. Or, not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at the moment is fine with them. That's what real love amounts to - letting a person be what he really is.

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.

Stars might be the scars of the universe, but love is the ultimate healer.

You can live throughout the years of your life searching for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. Although, there can be certain or specific exceptions.

"Haven't we been here before, Troye boy?"

I look over my right shoulder to see him. He had on a dark green army zip-up jacket, a white t-shirt, and jeans on. His hair just slightly loped to the side of his forehead. I stood up and tossed the book onto Con's bed. Or, I hope I did. I didn't really pay attention where it landed. My attention was elsewhere.

"You can never seem to pry yourself away from my privacy."

"Con, you look spectacular." I say, ignoring the embarrassing comment. He approaches me from his leaning position from the doorway. Our bodies now just inches away from each other in the center of the cabin. My heart jumped a bit as the beautiful man looked up at me with a bashful smile.

"You're one to talk, Tro." He said, eyeing my outfit head to toe. I felt my cheeks flush at his compliment. He looked back into my eyes. His piercing green eyes looked into mine. The world stopped. No commotion was audible. The rustling of leaves were gone. The old cabin creaking under our feet ceased to exist. No one else remained. It was him and I. Alone. At peace. With nothing but the other to confide to.