Chapter 24 [Like Father Like Daughter]

Start from the beginning

"Do you know Pat-a-cake?" Marissa cooed, crossing her legs and twisting her body so that she sat in front of Avery and Brody.

"I don't think so," Brody replied curiously.

"Well first you put your hands like this..." she explained, taking Brody's little hands and pressing them together. "Do you know how to clap your hands?"

"Mar, he's four, I think he knows how to clap his hands..." Avery snorted.

Marissa made a face at her older sister and promptly turned her attention back to Brody, showing him the clapping routine that went with the song.

"Now we do both together," Marissa explained.

Lips pursed into a thin line, Martha watched her grandson interacting with those two girls through the mudroom window. She sniffed and turned her attention back to her daughter-in-laws, figuring she might as well check on them before they both decided to burn the turkey.

"I think it's about ready," Jessie sighed, falling ungracefully into a chair and using another to rest her bare feet.

Martha took the blue oven mitts from on top of the counter and did a quick check. "Another five minutes or so," she said knowingly, closing the oven door. "You don't want to undercook it," she explained.

In the meantime, Lydia went ahead and started setting the table; six spots for the adult table and three spots for the kids outside on the patio. When Martha finally did take the turkey out, Lydia went ahead and started mixing the salads while Jessie looked after the gravy and cranberry sauce. They also had potatoes and steaming vegetables ready, as well as homemade bread and a delicious apple pie, which Marissa was particularly anxious for.

Martha was a lot of things, but neither one of her daughter-in-laws could deny the fact that she was a good cook.

"Does Brody still need his potatoes mashed?" Lydia asked.

"Oh yeah," Jessie laughed softly. "You've got to mix the vegetables in too, or else he won't eat them," she added.

Charlie came strolling in through the patio door just then, adjusting the red Falcons cap on his head. "Dinner almost ready?" he asked, sneaking behind Lydia to get a quick taste of the cranberry sauce.

"Get your hands out of there," Martha huffed, swatting at her son as though he was a fly looming over her cooking.

Seconds later, Austin came in through the patio door as well.

"Smells damn good in here ladies," he called out excitedly, making a straight line for the cranberry sauce. "Shit, it's hot!" he hissed.

"Have I taught none of you some manners?" Martha wondered, giving the heavens an exasperated roll of her eyes. "...and you better take that hat off at the dining room table," she added, pointing her finger reproachfully up at Charlie's chest.

"Yes ma'am," Charlie drawled, sneaking his brother a mischievous smirk.

While his mother continued to bark commands to everyone in sight – he was surprised she wasn't trying to control the neighbors' Thanksgiving dinner too – Charlie made his way outside to get the kids.

The sight in front of him when he opened the screen door was one to behold. Brody was in Marissa's lap, wriggling and giggling as Avery tickled him. Both girls were laughing too.

"Dinner's ready," he told them with a grin when they finally noticed him watching them, leaning lazily against the door frame.

"Finally, I'm starving!" Marissa cheered, grabbing Brody underneath the armpits and handing him over to Avery. She jumped to her feet and darted past Charlie, making her way into the house and letting the screen door slam behind her.