Chapter 3- Returning Home

"Fraya, Balthasar, what do I do?" Devin was sitting on the floor of his tent, still slightly numb from the news the scout brought back. "Octiura has never seen war, since the Great Divide. The strategies are lost!" "First of all," Balthasar said dryly, "we must warn Octiura of the coming danger. I believe we can assume that this army is out to attack us." "The scout did say that the guard said 'see you on the battlefield." Fraya pointed out. "That's a pretty clear indication." 

Devin looked up sharply, "This is serious! We have an army that's twice the size of Octiura's population out to kill us all!" "Actually," Fraya pointed out, "we don't know what they want. We don't know why they're attacking us. I say that you should send someone back to explain to Aurelio what's going on. You can't just use your magic spoon over there to let him know. He'll want to speak face to face and that thing isn't reliable enough." Her commander glared at her, "It's a plate," he hissed. "One that was enchanted by the First Dragon and the First King, Solomon." "One of seven." Balthasar said, inclining his head. "I agree with my young partner. I also suggest that we somehow send a spy in and try to answer these questions. They may prove to be important."

"All right," Devin said, sighing. "How do you suppose we do that?" Zar and Fraya looked at each other, exhasperated. "You're the leader," Fraya said. "You figure it out!" 

With that last comment, they left the tent and Fraya vaulted up onto Zar's back so they could fly. "Sheesh, I know he's never been in a war before and neither has anyone here, but I didn't think he would go that crazy." Balthasar chuckled, then began to cough. Suddenly there was a great WHOOSH as fire spat from his mouth and he had to dive quickly to keep Fraya from getting fried. They landed quickly, and Balthasar raised his head to the sky, his breathing loud and strained. "Zar," Fraya said hoarsly. "Are you ok?" She put a calming hand on his flank and they stood there for what seemed like hours as the dragon recovered.

Finally he lowered his head and Fraya sank to the ground, drained. She hadn't realised that she was feeding her friend her own magic until the connection was severed, and the girl did not like that her magic would act like this without her permission. Fraya liked to control the situation, and she really didn't like surprises. "Thank you," Balthasar whispered as soft as a dragon could whisper, which is the equivalent of a human's shout. 

When Fraya looked up to smile at him, she was blinded by the setting sun, and looked quite concerned. "I guess what felt like hourse reall was hours." She muttered. Just then, Lieutenant Brooks came running up to them, "Fraya, Balthasar, come to the eastern border of the camp, Devin's called a council." He walked with them back in to camp, and Fraya looked at Balthasar worriedly, what had Devin decided to do? Besides, whatever he did decide, Fraya would volunteer to go back to Octiura and warn Aurelio, even if she didn't particularly like him. She needed to get Balthasar out of the plains before it completely drained his magic.

"Fellow soldiers!" Devin called as he stood in front of them, "You should know that we are about to enter the first war since the Great Divide, against a people we know nothing about. I have decided to sent a pair back home to Octiura to warn Aurelio, and to help prepare our realm for battle." Fraya rolled her eyes, "Yeah," she said. "You have decided." Balthasar snorted smoke into her hair, making her scowl, but effectively shutting her up. Then Devin continued, "We must also send a spy into their camp to find out why they are doing this, and what they want with our King, who we know is their prisoner. The rest of us will stay here and await a reply from Aurelio, and the first report from the spy. Only after these events come to pass will we decide our next course of action.

"I, with my limited knowledge of war, have decided to step down to second in command and let someone more practiced in the ways of war take our head." Fraya was shocked, and she could tell that everyone else was shocked, too. Devin was stepping down? Who would replace him? None of them had any knowledge of... "Oh," Fraya whispered. "Yes," Devin called, as if he were speaking directly to her, "I have decided to appoint Balthasar, one of the eldest of our order to lead us, if he accepts."