Chapter 11

"Looks like rain." Liam peers at the sky over his cotton candy.

"Uh oh." I respond.

"We should get going anyway." Louis hops off the bench and leads us out of the park. We hop back into the SUV and start the drive back home.

"Do you mind if I watch the video?" Liam leans over to me, his phone in hand. I huff.

"I don't want to hear myself." I say, handing him a pair of headphones from my purse. He grabs them and plugs them into his phone.

"You're so amazing." He tells me a few minutes later. I slump in my seat. "Are you going to make more videos?"

"Why should I?" The words have more force than I intend.

"Haven't you seen these comments?" Liam hands me his phone and I scroll down the page.

Mica Atkin is the next teen pop sensation

I bet every record label in the country is drooling all over this music

This girl should make more videos, this is amazing

"Look at all the views it has." Liam scrolls up revealing the number. Over 1 million. "Did you even know?" I can't think or speak.

"No." I spit out.

"Do you want to be famous?"

"Yes." I don't think, I tell the truth.

"Then you're going to make another video." Liam shoves his phone in his pocket. "And we're going to help you."

"Are you serious?"

"I wouldn't joke about this Mica. Everyone needs to hear you." Liam stares into my eyes.

"This can't be right, I'm never going to be famous."

"That's what I thought too." Louis pipes up from the back seat, "But if you won't audition for the X-Factor, this is what you should do." Harry pulls into the garage and I hop out of the car.

"Lux is coming back in the morning, so don't worry about her." Zayn tells me. I run up to my room and change my clothes, ignoring the teenage boy noises from downstairs. I slip on a pair of yoga pants and there's a knock on the door.

"It's Liam."

"One second," I slip on a tank top and open the door. Liam leans against the doorframe.

"Simon Cowell wants to talk to you." Liam has a mysterious twinkle in his eye and I reach for his phone. "He's downstairs." I freeze. Simon Cowell, one of the biggest producers in music was in MY house. I try to move past Liam but he doesn't get out of my way. "You might want to change." I look down at my old yoga pants and top full of holes.

"Right," I turn back to my closet and grab my favorite blue dress. Liam turns away as I change and he walks me down the stairs. Simon Cowell sits in the sitting room lounging back. Louis, Harry, Niall, and Zayn sit around him.

"Mica Teasdale." He holds out his hand.

"Atkin." I tell him, shaking his hand. I don't notice I'm sweating until Simon wipes his hands on his shirt.

"I watched your video." He holds up his cellphone and I see myself again walking down the street. A bead of sweat runs down my neck and I swat at it.

"I'm glad," I manage to choke out. Is it me, or does he seem a lot smaller on TV.

"You," He begins, "are a fabulous artist. I might consider taking this further if you can sing for me." I nod, taking a huge gulp. I think about the opening words to Heart Attack, but they don't come to my mind. All of a sudden I find myself singing.

"White lips, pale face, breathing in snowflakes. Burnt lungs, sour taste. Lights gone, days end, struggling to pay rent. Long nights, strange men." My voice cracks as a tear spills over onto my cheek. Simon turns around and grabs his jacket.

"I think I've heard enough. I want confident young women, I get hormonal teenage girls. "boys," He raises a hand in farewell, "I'll see you next week in Beijing." He throws open the door and steps out into the night, not bothering to close it. The cold air seeps in and goosebumps run up my spine. I don't want to break down here, in front of the boys. I dash up the stairs to my room.

"Mica!" Liam calls after me. I slam my bedroom door as a response. I flop onto my bed and sniffle. I don't want to cry. I want to scream. I'm not a hormonal teenager! Okay, well maybe I am. But I have the right to be! I'm only 16! Well it doesn't matter, I ruined my chances anyway . Or did I? I bolt upright so fast it makes me dizzy. I carefully step onto the floor and creep over to the trashcan to peer inside.

It's still there.

I'm going on the X-Factor.