Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"Enna, what are you talking about?"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about! Opposite genders have always been discouraged from interacting and I... I don't know. What if it was for a good reason?" To my dismay, Matthew narrows his eyes angrily.

"I thought you were smarter than that! Isn't it obvious they've been lying to us?"

"Yes, but I..." Embarrassed and confused, I hold my palms to my face and lower my head.

"Look at me," he demands. I don't. After a few moments, he grabs my wrists and gently pulls my hands away from my face. His stare isn't as hard, isn't as disappointed.

"Do I scare you, Enna?" I shake my head and swallow. "Tell me the truth."

"No, Matthew, you don't. Not at all. I just... don't understand what's happening."

"Well, if it helps," he whispers, withdrawing his hands from my back, "I don't understand either." I laugh a little and he smiles. In the heat of the moment, I'd forgotten that both of us had lived in the city; that both of us, to some extent, are emotionally damaged. I'd forgotten that I'm not alone like I used to be.

"I guess we're both screwed up, then," I whisper.

"Yeah. I guess so." He mutters. Finally at peace, I rest my head on his chest and listen to him breathe until Sam calls the Trainees into the Training Facility. I can't help but groan, wanting nothing more than to fall asleep in Matthew's arms and forget about the looming task ahead. Instead, I raise my head and sigh.

"I'll see you soon," Matthew whispers. "Okay?"

* * *

"I wonder if we'll be bombed again." Oscar smirks and leans against the wall. Just like our field trip to the Statue of Liberty, Sam ordered all of the groups to leave periodically to avoid discovery. Guess which group is leaving last again.

"That's not funny," Josh mutters, looking down at his feet. Oscar punches him lightly on the shoulder.

"I know, buddy. I'm sorry."

"This mission better be downright historic. I'm missing precious sleeping time," Leah complains through a wide yawn. Sara glances up at her from her position on the floor as she ties her blonde hair into a ponytail.

"Did you know that sleep isn't mandatory?"

"Excuse me?"

"Sleeping. You don't have to sleep. Studies were carried out years ago, proving that you aren't physically harmed in any way if you don't sleep. Sure, you may be tired and might lose basic cognitive abilities, but--"

"Hey, it's time to go," Oscar cuts in quickly. Even though I consider Sara a friend of mine, I'm glad that her biology lesson is cut short. Oscar leads the way out of the apartment and we cross the street, traveling towards the heart of the city. I lower my head. A few months ago when I saw people wearing RScreens, I grew angry and annoyed at them. But now, after the things I'd learned from Matthew, I can only pity them for the choice they've made.

I quickly snap my head up to search the crowd for Sam: I see his graying head bobbing far ahead of us. Slightly comforted, I go back to my practice of staring at my feet. The concrete underfoot slowly starts to become patchier and patchier. We must be close. Suddenly, I walk into Oscar's back, crushing my nose against his shoulder.