The night was breezy, the smell of summer fresh in the air. Your fingers were threaded through mine, my small hand fit perfectly into your rough ones. Your hands grew harder over the years and you told me it was due to all the machines you had worked with. Because of you, Max decided to expand his business and hire you as a mechanic and I'll let you in on something. Max loves you for coming back because not only did you make me happy, you made his business strive harder and work towards survival. Now it's one of the most successful mechanics and hardware store on this part of the city.

My eyes were trained on the brilliant, shining stars. My head was on your shoulder, your leg was brushing mine, the jean of your leg pressed to my bare one which caused simmers of heat to pass through your jean and kiss at my skin delicately. Your breath fanned my ear, your lips pressed to my temple as your hand held mine, a silent promise whispered in the strength of your handholding. I was immersed in the stars and just like always, the world around us fell away and we created our own little world. Just the stars, you and I. It was a beautiful world, one filled with peace and prosperity, one I wished I could live in forever.

You removed my hand from yours and sat up, now staring down at me and no longer staring up at the stars. Your hazel eyes were alight but nervousness mingled with excitement danced around in them. I sat up too, your actions making me curious. Straightening up, I asked, "are you alright? Is anything wrong?"

I knew I was wasting my breath when I asked you those questions because I knew you were alright and I knew that nothing was wrong. Yet there seemed to be something on your mind and to say that I was curious as to what got you this nervous and excited would be an understatement.

"No, everything is perfect," you whispered, your hand reaching out for mine. Once you laced your fingers through mine, you lifted my hand to your lips. You've been doing this gesture for the past two years and still I haven't gotten used to it. My heart would still thump loud in my ears, giving out a double take every time your lips met my fingers. Your lips pressed softly on each of my fingers, the skin contact making an open fire dance on top of my skin. Then you looked up to me, your light hazel eyes now a shade darker as you tugged me forward and placed me on your lap. I could feel the heat from your jean reach my skin and tease me, your breath doing a similar job as well.

"I don't know why I left," you said and through your small but beautiful speech you didn't once move your eyes away from mine. "I was young and reckless and stupid and afraid of commitment. I knew I'd found home but I'd spent so long searching for it that when I found it, it happened so fast and it all felt so surreal I didn't believe it. So I went out on a quest only to land back in the place I started out. I met this girl. She had this strange fetish for reading but that was one of the first few things about her that intrigued me. If I remember correctly, she made me stay up two nights during a really crucial time in my university days and made me read a book-"

"Hey, I didn't force you to read it," I said, blushing slightly as I attempted to hit your shoulder. "That was all on you."

"Yeah, it was," you said and your teasing smile slowly died down, a more serious look taking it's place. "You made me smile, Kathleen. You gave me reason to smile, to believe in hope and to believe in the best of people. You changed me and shaped me into the man I am today."

I couldn't stop smiling. Your words warmed my heart made my red-stained lips lift up no matter how much I tried to tone it down. I couldn't stop myself from grinning like a maniac. It seemed that I lost control over my lips. "I can't take all the credit. You did a lot of work too," I said as your face grew closer, your breath grew warmer.