Chapter 15 - Scouting the South

Karl didn't know which would become more scary: Nia's attitude change, or this trip that she had somehow pulled him into.

While the other Foresters were busy preparing, he sat on the edge of the boat, and admired the view of the deep-blue waters of the Larius River, and the tree-dotted banks beyond. Ever since he became a soldier of the Legion, simple yet majestic landscapes like this have became a rarity. That was difficult to accept, especially for a hunter like him. It is true what Nia said, the trip was starting to ease his stress a bit, and it wasn't even starting.

As the sailboat rocked forward, the river gradually opened wide, until they were sailing on what they could describe as an inland sea.

"Niben Bay." Braas announced. "First time here, Karl?"

"It is amazing." Nia answered for him, as his mouth was wide open at the sights he was beholding.

"Head to starboard!" The scoutmaster directed, as the sailboat veered to the right.

Karl walked towards the hull. He noticed that the Foresters were now equipped with different armor, than they had moments ago. They were still wearing the green shirt, with brown laced frills and sleeves. But now, they had steel gauntlets, chain mail trousers, and metal boots, instead of their previous ones, which were mostly made out of hide or leather. The Imperial dragon pin was still on their chests.

As he walked on, he noticed a ruined castle, or fort, sitting atop a lonely island, in the middle of the bay, on the port side. It may have looked gloomy, but with a breathtaking backdrop and position, it looked marvelous.

"That's Fort Grief." Braas snapped him out of his trance, when he approached to his side. "Fitting name for a place like that.

"How is it there, situated in the middle of nowhere?" Karl wondered, curiously.

"Strategic purposes. Enemy ships would usually pass by Topal Bay, on the southern coast, head upriver towards here in the Niben, before continuing north again towards the City Isle. The fort provides a perfect vantage point of the south." The Dark Elf revealed. "The soldiers who were assigned there felt depressed and lonely out in the middle of the bay, alone, hence the name."

Karl listened at every word. He imagined himself if he was on that island, alone, friendless, stuck at waiting at an enemy fleet that would never appear, probably for the next decade. It was truly depressing.

"That's why we're here." Braas added. "If the Dominion fleet ever does, or plan on attacking from the southern coast, we'll be the first to know."

"How can you be so confident?" Karl asked.

"Because we elves are cunning. The Thalmor would usually send hidden agents to scout out or inspect a target city for its weaknesses, its shortcuts, its hidden entrances, before attempting a siege. Anything that can be used strategically in the case of a battle. If they do plan to attack here, they must have sent someone to assess the area, could be a disguised merchant, or a corrupt noble. If we do capture this little rat, oh dear, imagine the possibilities for payback." Braas finished, smiling. It seems his confidence knows no bounds.

--

Their sailboat eventually reached near the city of Bravil. The settlement was situated on top of the steep and rocky riverbanks at the mouth of the Larsius River, which flowed from the waters of the Bay and split into two, the main one flowing down towards the Elsweyr border, the smaller one inwards to the city.

Unlike the rest of the ships moored at the city's docks, their little sailboat was sizable enough to navigate the small canal. One Forester joked about the citizens using the canal as their sewer system, which resulted in a few fits of giggling. The boat ultimately stopped and was moored at a small wooden pier.