Chapter 26 - Not Over Yet

This time, there were no more bad dreams. This time, he could finally sleep soundly.

Karl rolled in his bed, enjoying the warmth of his sheets and the feeling of the fluffy pillow he had his head on. The morning light crept into the windows, and pierced his closed eyes. With that, he woke up from his peaceful slumber and sat up on his bunk.

He was the first to wake. His fellow recruits were still snoring away, the rising sun's ray clearly not bothering them like it did for him. Karl shrugged the thought off, and changed out of his sleepwear.

Ever since the battle, it seemed like his world had completely changed. When he returned home to the Prison District (as per the order of General Fortis), nobody ever regarded him as the whelp who got beaten by Caelus, or as the auxillary who messed with the General. No, he was now Karl, the hero of Leyawiin. Of course, Karl felt proud from the recognition. However, if his time had taught him anything, it's that titles like these were meant to be received and taken lightly. He didn't want to end up like Caelus, bragging and surrounded my brainless followers. Plus, he was no sole hero. There were many more that deserve that claim, worthier than him. Those fallen Foresters, those city guards, Captain Gam-Ei...

He placed on his red tunic and trousers, but did not bother with his steel cuirass and skirt. Hoping not to disturb the peace, he sneaked out of the barracks and into the mead hall. As usual, breakfast wasn't prepared yet, for the cooks were just as heavy sleepers as the rest. Karl sighed, and went out onto the courtyard. He looked up at the platform where the entrance to the Imperial Prison was situated. He looked back at the eventful day, when Ri'Bassa finally met his fate. 

Then, he remembered Shaabi. Karl instinctively groped the scar now on his throat. Sometimes, he could still feel the cold blade touching his skin, and her raspy voice, whispering threats to his ear. He tried to take his off of that day, but every time he looked at that platform, it just came flooding back to him.

He needed to clear his head.

--

Nia found him sitting on the nearby banks of the Lake Rumare. His feet was mournfully wading in the water, and his gaze intently on that horizon. The sun was finally on the morning sky, its rays shining harmlessly down on them.

"I knew I would find you here." Nia greeted. 

"Hey, Nia." He replied. Nia sat down beside him, her feet dipping into the cool waters as well. Karl turned to her. She was still wearing her Forester uniform, like the battle wasn't over yet.

"What an adventure, am I right?" He started the conversation.

"Yeah. A real whirlwind." She added. "It's been so long since we first joined."

"It's been so long since that...fire." Karl corrected her, keeping his emotions at bay. "And now, a few months later, we're here, and we've seen it all. We've seen friends fall, heroes rise..."

"Trolls, Senches, atronachs." Nia continued, hoping to change out of the gloomy topic. "It makes you wonder what tomorrow would bring next."

"It's not over yet, Nia."

"I know it's not, Nord."

For a moment, Karl was finally at peace. Sitting here with her, staring out onto the calm waves of the lake and the lands beyond it. It felt just like that day after the fire, wherein they were both sitting next to a lake as well. However, it was a different kingdom then. And they were different people then. Now, she was a full-fledged Forester, and he was an Imperial auxillary, about to receive his first rank promotion.

"Come on, Karl. General Fortis is waiting for us." Nia patted his shoulder and started walking back to the District. He smiled, gazing one last look at the lake, and followed her, with a big smile on his face.