Chapter 6 - Initiation

Karl froze in his place as the hulking general laid his deep eyes on the recruitment officer and then to him. He could hear Nia breathing behind him; she was stunned as well.

"General Fortis," the officer stood up as a form of respect, "this boy claims to be of age and wishes to join the ranks of the Legion."

The general, named Fortis, inspected him. He gazed his deep blue eyes on his armor crafted entirely out of fur and hide, the bow and quiver strapped on his back, and the sword in his scabbard hanging from his belt. He twitched his nose afterwards in disgust.

"Can you swing that sword, boy?" He asked, in a tone that sounded like he meant business.

Karl, not allowing to be intimidated, replied. "I-I can, sir."

"Can you shoot an arrow with that bow?"

"I can, sir."

"Can you stop calling me 'sir'?"

"I can...general." Karl almost forgot himself.

"First off, boy, I'm no knight...I don't strut around the streets like I own the goddamn place and I don't steal what isn't mine just because I have a title to my name. Do you understand?" The general was calmly irate.

"Yes, general." Karl answered, embarrassed at being disciplined upon. He knew the other Legionnaires were smirking at the scene playing before them.

General Fortis, once again, looked at him. "As for your situation, boy, I believe you may not be fit to join...yet." He declared. "Come back after a year or two, when you've honed yourself, and perhaps I'll reconsider." And with that explanation, he walked away, carrying Karl's hopes and dreams along with him.

That night, Nia couldn't sleep, as she kept on tossing and turning on her bed, her dream bothering her.

She was standing in a beautiful forest. She saw several verdant trees, some overgrown with vines, in every corner. The ground she was standing on was green with grass and ferns. She could hear the birds chirping and, occasionally, a noise that belonged to an animal. And there is only one place in the world like this, and its not Skyrim's Pine Forest.

Nia was home. In Valenwood.

She smiled, thinking that she was, at last, home once again. She took a step forward, hoping to explore, but that was when the nightmare happened.

Suddenly, the forest was engulfed in blazing flames. The trees became torches and every grass and fern morphed into a bonfire. Smoke surrounded her, as she covered her mouth. Then, in the distance, she saw them.

They were a Bosmer couple, standing side by side. The man was wearing leather armor, like hers, and the woman was dressed like a simple peasant commoner. She couldn't believe her eyes. It was her parents.

They stretched out their hands, signalling Nia to come to them. She took their offer and ran towards them, holding out her hand as her eyes filled with tears of joy. Just as she was about to touch her father's hand, they instantly gasped in extreme pain.

Nia saw their bodies being punctured by numerous holes, blood squirting out of each one. It was as if they were being repeatedly stabbed by invisible swords. Nia screamed at the horrible scene. The finale came when their throats were slashed, blood cascading out like a waterfall, and their heads fell and rolled on the burning forest floor. She cried in horror and grief, as the inferno engulfed her and her mangled parents.

Nia woke up, sweating and gasping for air. She was in another dark and unfurnished room, like the one back in Bruma, except it was much warmer here. She looked at Karl, sleeping on a dirty roll beside her bed. She was glad he managed to sleep, despite being rejected by the Legion, and by a general, no less. She thought he probably cried himself to sleep, and felt pity for him. But, now was not the time. They had a very long day and, despite the bad luck that befell on them today, they deserved a very long rest.