Chapter 5 - The White-Gold City

As their caravan went on, the snowy hills gave way to lush green plains. Karl looked around his new surroundings. He has lived inside the same forest in his past years, and now, he was walking on Imperial soil, and taking in the scenic landscape of this new province. He spotted a grazing deer in the distance, and he suddenly had an urge to grab his bow and shoot the animal. But, they had to take no delays. After all, Ri'bassa told him that they were nearing the Imperial City. Karl actually believed him, partially because he can already see the majestic White-Gold Tower, home of the Emperor, in the horizon.

They trekked onwards, until the road finally came to an end in the crossroads. Karl and Nia marveled at the sight of the Imperial City (the Khajiits claim to have seen enough of it), standing on an island in the middle of a lake, as if it was floating. Karl wanted to swim all the way to the isle, but that was, by far, his craziest idea yet.

"We'll have to go around it." Ri'bassa said.

"Where's the entrance?" Nia asked, eagerly.

"In the western side. We're in the north, so that means we head right." Shaabi pointed out.

And so, they trekked to the right. Karl kept his eyes on the city and the looming White-Gold Tower, as they circled around it. Finally, he was here. He has dreamed about this moment, and finally, it may be coming true.

The group eventually arrived at Weye, a small town where the bridge leading to the City began. They ignored some vendors who were approaching and coaxing them to buy their products and crossed the bridge. The bridge was quite long, probably the longest in existence. Karl wanted to speed things up, excited to see the marvels awaiting beyond the City's gates. He had a huge grin on his face as they neared the ivory-colored walls. Nia saw the smile etched on his face and laughed at it. Karl blushed in embarrassment.

After crossing for what seems like a year, they reached the city gates and entered the city. Finally, after fifteen years of waiting, of working, and of dreaming. I'm here. Karl exclaimed in his head as he took it all in.

   The Imperial City is designed like a wheel with six spokes. The spokes are the inner walls that separate the districts, which are the gaps in between. The White-Gold Tower stood as the hub in the center, and the outer walls encircled it all.

"Welcome to the Imperial City." Ri'bassa gestured to Karl, as they walked towards the center of the district.

They were currently in the western district. It was heavily crowded, as citizens bustled around, doing their jobs or errand, and Legionnaires patrolled around the area. Around them were two-storied buildings (some even had domes), with green tiled sloping roofs and white brick walls, supported by white stone columns. At the center of the district was a tiered fountain, at the top which stood a statue of an old man wearing robes fit for an emperor. In fact, is that...

"Is that the Emperor? Titus Mede?" Karl, noticing, asked Ri'bassa.

"The Second? Yes, it is. Ri'bassa thinks it is a shame, what happened to him. Murdered in his own ship. But, no matter." He replied, almost purring.

Karl remembered that tragic day. Titus Mede II was visiting Skyrim to assess the Stormcloak rebellion. But, before he was to due to head back here in the City, he was found dead in his royal quarters, his throat slit. That incident shocked every Empire supporter in the province, Karl and his family included. It also proved too much for the Legion to handle and later on, became a reason on why they lost against the rebels. Some say it was the Stormcloaks who had him killed, but others would argue that it was the Dark Brotherhood, a guild of merciless assassins thought to be extinct, who did the deed. The conspiracy later became a hot topic for gossip. Karl stared at the stone-made eyes of the late Emperor.