I pulled the letter, and five more fell in the drivers seat. They were all date for last week. The one I pulled out was dated for Monday, which was yesterday.

Dear Chris,
I know you don't like keeping things from Dev. He will probably hit the roof when he does find out. I had to leave. Losing my mom, and wife in the same week. It wasn't easy pretending to be okay. I'm living out in Cali. Been keeping tabs on Mari, and her husband. I know we agreed to stop with the Cartel, but I think someone is threatening her. I'll be back in a week or two. Thank you for the school pictures of Emmy. She looks just like Gab. I miss my munchie. I love you guys! Thank you for everything. See you soon meanie.😂
Love,
August

I crumbled the letter up, and grabbed the rest of them. I slammed the car door, and hit the locks. Chris was sitting on the floor, playing with the kids.

"You guys go to the playroom. I need to talk to Auntie"

They all raced down the hall.

"What, I tell you guys about running?"

"Sorry Uncle Dev"

I nodded, soon as the door closed I flung the letters into her lap.

"The fuck is that Chris!"

She picked through the letters, and her eyes grew in size.

"I dare you to lie. I want you to." I hissed, throwing the crumbled piece of paper.

"Dev he said it was important I didn't tell. He left some cell number for you to call." She explained, handing me the paper.

I snatched the paper, and looked down at the number. It was a cellphone. Probably, one that could be disposed of later.

I was mad as fuck at Chris, but part of me was elated she'd been keeping in touch with my brother.

"Chris, don't do no shit like this again ma. Ain't no telling what type of danger could be lurking or, shit."

"But--

"But my ass, I don't care which one of my brothers ask you to keep a secret. Yo, loyalty ain't to them, it's with me. Understood? If not, let one of them mothafuckas put a ring on it."

We had a short stare down for a moment. I was the first to break it.

"The older you get, the more of an asshole you are Dev. You irk my soul." she huffed, crossing her arms.

"I stroke it too" I grumbled, pelvic thrusting, and smirking.

"Shut up stupid" she mumbled, trying to suppress her smile.

I kissed her forehead.

"I love you ma, and you know if them niggas even thought about some shit like marrying you, it's over."

"I love you too asshole"

I went out to the balcony to call my brother, and figure out what the fuck was going on.

"Hello"

"Nigga, why you got my wife keeping secrets for your scrawny ass?" I growled, causing him to laugh.

"Look, I needed to assess the situation on my end. I popped up on Amari ass today. I made her tell me what the hell was going on. She claims she has it- but I know she needs our help. She's stubborn as fuck, and hardheaded."

"So, what's going on?" I asked, getting annoyed.

I promised  God, my mom, and Chris I was gonna let shit run on its on. Only checking in here and there. But, of course Mari ass has to do something.

"All she saying is somebody threatening to expose her"

I sighed and shook my head

"Ain't like Nasir, don't know she was a contract killer" I stated, rubbing my temple.

"Yeah, he knows. However, at the same time some shit got her shook. She cried on me, and Mari don't cry easily."

"What you trying to do?

"I'm coming back in two weeks. Got a lot of shit to straighten out with my baby girl. Don't want her thinking daddy don't love her. I already talked to Christon, and Scar.

"You know, soon as I said China Doll, they were ready.

"If you stay ready, you never have to get ready"

"Touché my nigga, touché."

I stared out across the pool in my backyard. Made me think about some shit my dad used to say.

"Son, you are a Santiago. As long as, you have that blood running through your veins, you will always have something to prove. Bitches never know their lanes. A dope boy, is always looking for the top spot. Your throne is the Santiago name. Two things in this game; are, make sure the Queen is protected at all times. Make smart, inconspicuous moves. Never let a rook catch you slipping"

"Bruh"

"What up?" I replied, thinking about how I was gonna break this shit to Chris.

"Chris loves you, and she already knew what she signed up for when she said I do. Baby thug won't trip too hard" he explained.

That's what his mouth said. I knew Chris inside, and out. Her ass was gonna bitch, then I was gonna have to dick her down. She was gonna bitch some more, then tell me she love me- but I'm always being stupid.

"Fuck, man"

"Ite, the minutes bout gone off this bitch"

"Stay alert Aug, love you bitch!" I mumbled.

"Always strapped, and ten toes down. Love you too- and kiss Em for me please!"

"I have your front and back- always"

Five years later, but the game still hasn't changed.

Hey babies,
This has been long awaited. Pass over due to you guys. I hope you enjoy it, and please excuse any mistakes. Thank you to my old, and new readers for taking this crazy, emotional, drama filled ride. I'm sad to see my baby end. Big thank you to yasminefox mamagical and LadyK30 .