"Thank you all for agreeing to meet on such short notice! As you know, I am Grace Ward, leader of the rebellion." Her next words are interrupted by an eruption of cheers. I can barely make out her hand in the air, signaling for silence. Leah spins me towards her.

"Leader?" She mutters, shock covering her features. I shrug, feeling overwhelmed and excited at the same time. I glance towards my mom. She blushes.

"I guess I forgot to tell you that."

Before either of us can reply, the audience's attention is turned back towards Leah's grandmother. She smiles warmly, and her face suddenly looks ageless. How does she do that?

"Today is a special day, a very special day indeed. We have been blessed with two new recruits, fresh from their Graduation Ceremonies. Luckily, they have escaped being plugged in." She motions down towards Leah and I, and every face turns in our direction. A sudden silence sweeps across the Warehouse, so quiet that I can hear Ms. Ward's breaths. And then, one by one, the crowd starts to clap. Timid clapping turns to vigorous applause in a matter of seconds; voices rise, competing for volume. I can feel my face growing hot and I gulp, struggling to hide my discomfort at the attention. At least it doesn't seem like we'll be out on the streets anytime soon. When the thunderous noise subsides, Leah's grandmother continues to speak in a gleeful voice. The crowd seems to hang onto her every word.

"Each of us can relate to-and most of us can remember- the initial thrill of fear felt when deciding to split away from the crowd. It takes nerve to refuse a life being forced upon you, but it takes courage to change the life you've already been living. I called this meeting simply to introduce our new friends to the Depot. I expect each of you in turn to be accepting as well."

I remember the sneering boy, Luke. Too late for that, I think wryly. Ms. Ward smiles and motions to someone in the crowd. People part to let a tall boy on the stage, and when he turns around to take her place I recognize him as the one who snapped at me yesterday: Matthew. I can't help but notice that he looks mildly flustered, as if he hadn't planned on speaking in front of such an intense congregation of people.

"All Depot members are required to choose a trade and carry out their duties for as long as they remain under the Depot's asylum. That's how things have managed to retain secrecy and order for all of these years, and that's what we'll continue to carry out. For the benefit of our new recruits, I'll take the time to briefly describe each occupation." The crowd quiets as Matthew's soft, low voice carries throughout the cavernous room.

"Tunnel-Diggers... Well, their job is self explanatory. Some people can choose to work in the Atrium, gathering and planting vegetation and food supplies. Others oversee the cameras and maintain the security of the Depot in the Security Quarter, and still others go on to become spies."

Any remaining mutterings falter and die out ominously at Matthew's last words. I gulp. I suppose being a spy is considered a controversial occupation here. He clears his throat and rubs his palms on his jeans. Something about the rigidity of his spine scares me, like he's programmed to do and say the things that he does.

"If these options don't suit you, there are always openings as teachers, nursery workers, mechanics, scientists, nurses..." I look up from my pensive daze to realize that Matthew is staring straight at me. His brow creases and I force my gaze to drop to the floor again.

"On behalf of the Depot, we welcome our guests with open arms." His voice sounds like the farthest thing from welcoming, but the crowd cheers, claps, and hollers all the same. Matthew descends from the stage and heads up to the second floor, passing by me swiftly. A musty, damp smell is left in his wake, like rain-soaked soil.