7 - Try Again

THE GIRLS HAD BEEN COMPLAINING about Candy's absence as of late. She had skipped out on the Homecoming game and Greg's infamous afterparty because truthfully, all that had been on her mind was getting through this last year at Melrose and then going straight to beauty school to get her cosmetology license. Why stand on the wall all night just to have the guys lining up, one by one, only to get rejected? It was exhausting for both her and the boys. Unlike the other Barbies, she was sure of what she wanted in life, and therefore, had no time to be dealing with the scrubs that they chose to give their attention to.

People who knew Candy found themselves stumped whenever she told them that she had a father. Not that everyone didn't have a father at one point, but she actually knew hers. In fact, her parents were still together. Blissfully happy for nearly twenty-five years of marriage. So how did a girl that came from a nurturing family background become such a legendary bad girl that ran amok with a set of legendary bad girlfriends? The answer was easy--she was bored! Being Mommy and Daddy's little princess just didn't satisfy her urge to thrill seek. From the time she was young, she had always been able to quickly decide what it was her heart desired.

She had been sure, the first time she had ever stepped foot in a beauty salon at the age of four and flipped through the pages of one of those hairstyle gallery books before being fried, dyed, and laid to the side, that she wanted to do the same for others one day.

She had been sure when she saw the ice blonde tresses cascading over her shoulders, that she wanted to commit her time and loyalty to the Ghetto Barbies.

She had been sure when she had first given her virtuous flower to Darvin in the tenth grade, that she had made the right decision. Now, she was even surer, as she sauntered into the classroom after school hours had passed and the rest of her less than sophisticated peers had gone home, that the desk that stood as a barrier between her and the gorgeous man who taught her second period Creative Writing class was her next obstacle. "Hello, Mr. Lazo," she said smoothly as she let the door close silently behind her. He looked as though he was on his way out, and she knew that she had to implement all of her Barbie training in order to keep him there. Candy had done away with the cardigan that she had been wearing all day to avoid a dress code violation. She wore a pushup bra underneath her crop top that had her sitting high up enough for him to write a story about it.

Mr. Lazo winced, struggling to keep his eyes in the safe zone, which was above her collarbone. "What can I do for you, Candy?"

"I hope you're not leaving." She took a step further, only to see him take one step back. He just may have been scared of her. This was another one of those thrill-seeking moments she searched high and low for. "There is a question on the homework you assigned us this morning that I can't seem to wrap my head around."

Mr. Lazo reached behind his head for an itch that he knew wasn't even there. "I would love to help you, Candy, but I was just on my way to pick up my daughter from preschool."

A daughter. Candy's parted lips quickly clamped shut to erase the surprise that must have been showing on her face. He couldn't have been older than twenty-five. With no ring on his finger, she figured him to be completely available outside of work hours. "Oh, please, Mr. Lazo, it will only take a second."

He grabbed his brown corduroy jacket from around the chair desk and hurriedly put it on. "I really wish that I could, but I'm already late. Check out the tutoring lab. They have excellent tutors that can help you with your writing. You're already one of my most diligent students. Frankly, I'm surprised that a student has even looked at her assignment at this point in time, considering that it's not due until the end of the week."