Chapter 10

"Okay so I have like a question.."

"Shoot."

"What do you call an alligator in a vest?" Me and Brody stare at Rhyley with blank looks.

"An investigator." He says with a big smile then laughs loudly with his hand over his stomach.
Brody shakes his head and chuckles.

I fight a smile that wants to come to my lips, Brody's shoulders shake as he looks down.

I space off at the wall, thinking, how did my mom survive a murder that I watched happen? How did she become this heartless bitch?

I'm still not used to the fact I have a brother.

The thought of Rhyley being my blood brother has me turning and looking at him. We look the same, except that he has dads eyes and moms mouth. We both have a button nose that we got from both of them.

I'm just not used to having family. I grew up alone, family isn't something I was gifted with, but then again, I wasn't gifted with a lot of things.

"NYLA!!" I jump when they both scream my name.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Rhyley asks; pretending to be scared he runs behind Brody and peeks out.

"She's going to eat me..." He whispers standing in his tippy toes to whisper into Brody's ear.

I just stare at him with a blank look. I shake my head and walk away. I'm really not in the mood.

Halfway down the sidewalk sparks fly up my wrist and travel through me.

"What was that for? That was rude to just walk away."

I just stare infront of me.

"Nyla talk, we know you can." Brody demands.  I glance back to see Rhyley lookin down at his phone with a frown.

I look back to Brody with a blank look.

"Nyla." He growls and grabs my waste and pulls me into him softly.

I'm tense for a minute, a couple minutes actually but he doesn't let go and his arms don't loosen nor do they tighten.

"Nyla I know your scared baby girl, I don't know how but I can sense that your not okay."

"Was I ever okay?" I whisper almost so silently that thankfully his head was attempting to bury it's self in my neck but since I'm so short it was hard for him, but he still heard.

He shakes his head. "No, but just because your mothers back doesn't mean--"

"Brody, look thanks for helping me, but you Don't know how crazy my mother really is, she isn't even supposed to be here." I say with a sigh.

He rolls his lips in his mouth and runs his fingers through his hair.

I bite my lip as my eyes flick to his lips. Fuck that was hot, I want to see more--

Wait what?

"Yeah, I know I don't know much so I can't say or judge anything but can't you show me some light or something?"

"She's manipulative and she can be trusted, that's all you need to know." I tell him.

"Uh hey guys, we have an issue." Rhyley speed walks to us and turns his phone.

There's a picture of one of my mothers men holding some nerd girl hostage. She goes to the school and she's sweet, not that I have ever spoken or made any real eye contact but I hear her talk to one of her good friends and she seems real sweet.