Truths revealed

I slammed the paper on the table. "What kind of sick joke is this?!" I yelled at my father. My eyes brimmed with tears, which I failed to blink back. He looked at me dumbfounded. He walked over only causing me to walk in the other direction away from him. He picked up the paper and read it. His eyes went wide in shock and glanced at the mirror. 

"Jackie," My dad yelled up the stairs, "you need to come down here now!" I looked at him. The shock on his face made it hard to believe he was messing with my head on purpose, but I stood my ground. I wasn't going to be made a fool of. 

They should be used to this by now, I've hated mirrors since I was a little girl. I looked up at my mom who was advancing down the stairs at a hurried rate. 

"What is it Henry?" He handed my mom the note who read over it. Her hand went over her mouth leaning into my father who held her close. She teared up and I gave up. 

"You guys are great actors." I scoffed crossing my arms and looking away. My mom walked over to me taking my shoulders forcing me to face her. 

"Saraphine, We need to talk," her voice was weak and quivered with tears. She took my hand leading us upstairs to the family room. She sat me on the couch sitting across from me on the coffee table my father sitting beside her. 

"We thought we would have more time." my father said softly. I looked at him confused. "More time for what?" 

"You," my mom took a breath, pain clear on her face, "you were left on our doorstep when you were only a few months old." I shook my head. 

"You're kidding me. That only happens in movies." Mom bit her lip avoiding eye contact with me "you're joking, right?" I was starting to question their joke. Why would they be so cruel. Dad shook his head.

 "Sadly we aren't joking," Mom stood up disappearing into their room, "you were left on our front porch and we went to the government about it. They had no record of you and so they allowed us to adopt you." My father reached towards me but i flinched away. I felt tears fall to my lap, I didn't realize I was crying. Mom returned holding a baby basket setting it on the coffee table sitting on the floor, the table and basket between us. 

I glanced in the basket. I saw a blanket, paper, and something glimmering in the light. Dad pushed the basket closer to me. I looked at him and my mom, who was clinging to dads shirt, trying her hardest not to break down. I reached over running my hand over the hand woven basket, I was gentle afraid that just enough pressure would make it fall to a pile of wood. I reached into the basket pulling out the blanket. I slid it through my hand, it was silky on one side the other side was what looked like wolf fur. The silk side was silver  intricately detailed with gold swirls and flowers. I felt the details with my hands. 

I smiled slightly, at least who ever left me didn't want me to be cold. I lay the blanket across my lap reaching in for the next thing, the letter, still in its envelope which was delicately opened. The envelope was ivory with what looked like water color paint strokes of rainbow winds. Removing what was inside revealed off white card stock and calligraphy to make the most royal chancery jealous. The ink was ruby red, reading 

'Dear Jacqueline and Henry, I hope our dear Saraphine reaches you safely. She is in need of protection and love. You will understand one day but until then please take care of her. Her birthday is June 17th of this year, On this day she is three months old. We have provided formula and diapers as well. Keep her safe. Thank you' 

I wiped the fallen tears from my cheeks, I can only hope they had their best intentions in mind. I looked in the basket one last time and pulled out what had caught the light. It was a heart shaped locket and was kind of heavy, I could only assume it was mostly pure gold. The front was engraved with my name along with a rose. I tried popping it open but it wouldn't budge. I pouted.