breaking in

I scattered to the light switch flipping it on. I looked all around but couldn't find anyone, and I couldn't blame it on a pet cause we didn't have one. I took a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm down.

After I was half way calmed with no view of fully coming down in view I began to walk a full round around the kitchen. I didn't get far before I saw the mirror had shattered. I jumped back and looked around for any pieces of glass I could pick up before I started the vacuum. I kept my eyes away from the mirror and wondered 'does the seven years bad luck go on me, though I didn't break it?' I shook my head.

I grabbed the vacuum and went back to the mirror. I was hesitant. Looking at the floor I noticed there was no glass. I sat on the floor looking under the table and found a few slivers. I vacuumed it up shaking my head. 'How did they get that far.' I looked up at the mirror hesitantly and ran my fingers along a few of the cracks. The broken edges were pushed outward. I shivered standing up. I went back down to my room without grabbing a snack and texted Ryan. 'Please come over. I am afraid to be home alone. The mirror just broke on its own.' I dreaded hitting the send button.

His response was almost immediate. 'On my way.' I set my phone aside and curled under a blanket keeping my eyes on the door. I must have dozed off because I was being awoken by Ryan not to long after with soft kisses along my shoulder and arm. I smiled softly partially opening my eyes. "Hey baby," I muttered. He grinned. "Hello beautiful." I sat up on my elbow and looked over him. He was wearing the button up I got him for Christmas and some nicely fitting wrangler jeans. He smelt of chocolate axe and I melted. He wrapped his arms around me and I nuzzled into him, gasping when he lifted me up off my bed. I was now fully awake and clinging to him afraid to be dropped.

He set me down on my feet in the kitchen. I clung to him as he tried to turn me towards the mirror. "Hun," he coaxed, "you need to face this fear. It's ridiculous." My mouth went agape and I stepped back. "Excuse me?" I exclaimed softly. He shook his head. "Oh come on babe. It's just a reflection," he put his hands up in surrender, "but whatever. Lets just figure out what's with the mirror." I shook my head and sat on the stairs motioning him to go ahead. He rolled his eyes and disappeared behind the half wall in the direction of the mirror. He took in a sharp breath causing me to jump to my feet. "What?" He was facing me holding his middle three fingers,  which were dripping with blood.

I covered my mouth in shock walking over to him. I took his wrist and pulled him to the sink. I ran the water over his wounds. "Stay here." I said running up to my parents bathroom for the first aid kit.

Rushing back downstairs I popped open the kit removing some alcohol and heavy duty bandages. "What happened?" I asked while cleaning off his fingers. He winced. "I don't know. I just touched it then something cut me." I looked at him like he was crazy 'how can a mirror just cut someone?' I shook my head 'he must have done what I did with more pressure.' I kissed his bandaged fingers and smiled up at him. "There all better." He kissed my nose. "Couldn't be any better than I am here." He cooed. He went to kiss me but was interrupted when my parents walked in the door.

"Ryan!" my mom smiled walking over and hugging him. My dad just glanced at me then at his hand. "Did Phine finally cut you for touching her?" I chuckled and shook my head. "No dad. He touched the mirror with a little to much pressure." "What happened to the mirror?" My mom gasped walking over to it. "Saraphine if you really hated it that much you should've just said so." I shook my head rapidly. "Mom I didn't. It did that on its own. It scared me so I called Ryan over." She glared at me. She thought I was lying I sounded crazy.

My dad walked over to where my mom was and patted her shoulder before looking at the mirror. He tilted his head. "That's weird." "What?" I asked walking over far enough that I couldn't see my reflection. He turned to me. "The way the glass is broken suggest is was broken inside out, but that's impossible," (my father took a summer class in crime solving out of boredom). I looked at Ryan's hand and bit my lip worried. I shook my head again, Dad was right, it was impossible to do. Mom walked over linking arms with Ryan. "Nonetheless Ryan, it's late, and you need to go home." I smiled softly and followed close behind. "I'll walk you to your car." He smiled at me taking my hand in his non-bandaged one.

We walked out the garage and down the drive way to his car. It looked so odd next to my Nissan skyline. I smiled softly, it was just like him and me. He leaned up against his car putting his hands carefully on my hips pulling me close to him. He placed his forehead to mine looking in my eyes. "I love you, ya know that right?" He sounded so unsure whether I actually knew or not. I nodded gently and pecked his lips. "I love you too, you big butt." I chuckled pulling away and starting back inside. I heard his car start and pull out of the drive.

When I came back in my parents were standing, waiting for me. "what?" I said blatantly walking towards my room. My father cleared his throat stopping me in my tracks. I slowly turned around. "So how did the mirror break?" My mom asked tapping her foot. I looked at her. "I told you. It broke on its own. I came up to grab a snack before I heard a crash and it was broken." I looked at her for a moment searching her face for any reaction. She finally dropped her arms from being crossed and walked up to her room without a response. I went to say I wasn't lying but my father put up his hand following behind her. I crossed my arms and blew a piece of hair from my face, attempted to anyways, I ended up brushing it from my face by hand.

I sat on the top step looking down the stairs. I jumped when I thought I saw something skitter across the shadows and shook my head blaming it on stress. I walked down the stairs to my room rubbing my eyes. I lay in bed yawning, pulling the blanket over my shoulders, just to shoot up to a sitting position from my t.v. tray wobbling off balance. Right now I was really wishing for my touch lamp. I took a few deep breaths to calm down and laid my head on the pillow. When I couldn't get to sleep i clicked open my Pandora app and let the vitamin string quartet play. I was asleep soon after the music lulled out all my thoughts. 

Dad yelled down the stairs at me to get up. I looked at my phone to see it was only 11 and that was to early for me, but I knew dad didn't react to me rolling over for more sleep like mom did so I slid out of bed. I groggily walked up the stairs rubbing my eyes. "Yes dad?" He stood in front of the table looking at the mirror. "Saraphine? Did you let anyone else into the house last night?" He asked. I shook my head. "no. Why?" I glanced towards him. He looked at me worried. I looked around for mom, "she's still asleep," my dad stated as if reading my mind. I nodded slightly and slugged over to him. "What's going on daddy." He nodded towards the mirror. I groaned 'why was everything revolved around that mirror' I thought.

I looked at the mirror reluctantly to find a piece of paper, yellowed like the note that originally came with the mirror, stuck in one of the cracks of broken glass. "How does that even happen?!" I exclaimed. It was apparent that my name was written on the front of the paper. I didn't want to read it. I just wanted to go back to bed and hope this was all just a bad dream. I took a deep breath and walked over to the mirror, pulling the paper from the crack trying not to rip the page. I took a breath opening it. 

Saraphine Angelica Rose Jones,  Beware the broken mirrors. If one is broken: hide. If one breaks: run. Something has gotten through and you don't want it to get to you. I've been here for your entire life to protect you from getting through or anything from getting through to you, but if I fail, and something gets through, you need to run. If they find you, they will kill you. Sincerely, your reflection.