Prom.

Mirrors. A reflection of yourself in real time. The only clear still way to see yourself right in that second. Sure there's cameras and pictures but those are a few seconds after the moment and there's the reflection in water but that's not a still and not always clear.

I shivered the thought from my head finishing off my blue eyeliner. I smiled at myself slightly proud of myself for teaching myself how to do my makeup without looking in the mirror. My lips were traced with a maroon red, my emerald green eyes were traced with a violet black eye shadow and blue eye liner to make them pop.

I brushed off my black rose print black corset dress that only went to my knees before going to grab my combat boots and leather jacket. I double checked that my buckles on my dress were fastened before tying off my boots and sliding into my jacket.

Two car horns went off outside and I opened the door. Smiling I saw my boyfriend of 3 years in the sleek black convertible and started towards him. My mom called from behind me, "be careful Saraphine."

I rolled my eyes brushing a strand of my purple into blue dyed hair behind my ear. I slid into the car and pecked Ryan's lips before he started down the road. "Can you believe this is our first dance together since high school started?" Ryan chuckled.

I nodded watching the scene pass by out the window, "yeah I can actually, I really hate dresses." I smiled slightly looking over at him. He was grinning wide one hand on the wheel the other inching over to my thigh.

"Well I think you look sexy in a dress" he snickered. I moved his hand back to the wheel and shook my head. Of course he thought I looked good in a dress. We pulled into the schools parking lot and we got out of his car. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders only to make me realize I was rigid. I barely got through school every day because of everyone staring at me and now a dance?

"Relax, you'll be fine. You've got me." Ryan smiled at me and squeezed me close for a second. I nodded and took a breath to calm down a little. We started walking towards the entrance with him digging in his pocket for the tickets. He stopped before the table where they take the tickets and dug in his pockets more.

He looked at me worried, "I can't find 'em Sara." I sighed and pulled his wallet from his other pocket pulling the tickets from the cash fold. He looked at me relieved. "What would I do without you" he chuckled.

I handed the lady our tickets and walked with him into the dance, "probably forget how to eat." I responded. He nodded chuckling and started dancing to the beat of the pop song playing. I tried not to gag at the music and danced with him.

A girl from our math class danced her way over to us, her platinum blonde hair curled around her head. She started grinding up against Ryan and I sneered. Ryan 'attempted' to push the blonde off him without interrupting his dancing.

I rolled my eyes and started walking away. I felt someone grab my arm. I stopped without turning around. "Where ya going beautiful?" Ryan's voice hardly carried over the music.

"Somewhere I won't vomit all over my dress" I snarled. He spun me around so I was pressed against his chest and grinned. "Do you feel sick?"

I nodded slightly. "Watching you dance with another girl is stomach jolting." I muttered, yet he still seemed to hear me.

"What. her? Come on Sara, we were just dancing." He scoffed pointing back at the blonde who was pouting with her arms crossed.

I rolled my eyes, "you were practically banging already."

He shook his head and held me close. "I'm sorry hun, it won't happen again." I nodded laying my head on his chest. As I did a slow song came on the speakers and Ryan began to sway with me. I smiled softly glancing over at the blonde who was now talking to a few of her friends, angrily gesturing in my direction. I held Ryan tighter and took a deep breath, his cologne filling my lungs. I relaxed again.

He tilted my head up at him and kissed me softly. A small smile grew upon my lips. He twined his fingers with mine on his chest. "My heart only beats for you." He said softly in my ear. I felt my cheeks burn up from blushing before pecking his lips once more.

Hours went by and 1 a.m. rolled around. The D.J. turned off his music and the lights came on signaling our leave. Ryan wrapped his arm around my shoulder again and started walking to the exit. We had to pass miss blondey to leave and I dreaded it. When we did she coughed tramp and then snickered with her friends.

Ryan squeezed my shoulder reassuringly and took out his car keys. "Don't listen to them." He muttered when we were out of the chaotic noise of everyone leaving. I nodded sliding into the passenger seat.

I kept my eyes on the dark trees passing by on our way back to my place with his music playing just enough for conversation to be inevitable. When we pulled into my drive all the lights inside were off. Ryan leaned over for a quick kiss before nodding a goodbye to me.

I smiled slightly before getting out and punching in the garage code. Ryan drove off with a roar of his engine as the garage door began to lift. I let out a sigh of relief that I could now just relax in my pajamas.

I went inside and walked into the basement where my room was located. I shut the door behind me sliding to the ground. I sighed in relief again. I would be okay just sitting here in my room alone. I pushed myself to get up and changed out of my dress and into some pajamas. I sat in my bed and took a breath relaxing in the warmth of the homemade blanket already starting to doze off.

I was walking around a forest. It was beautiful and the sun was starting to set. I shut my eyes leaning against a tree feeling the warmth of the sun on my face. When I looked down my hands and, well, all of me was smaller. I was a child. The sun had set and everything changed in the darkness of the night. The trees became eerie and rustled.

The grass cracked under someone's footsteps. I began to run. The steps kept behind me but didn't seem to quicken. Then again I was running about as fast as you run in a pool. I tried to scream for help but all that came out was a raspy breath. I kept running as fast I could not getting anywhere quick.

Suddenly I was in a cave. I was panting and leaning against the back of it. I put my hand over my mouth to keep quiet watching the entrance. The little light that came from the moon was covered from a large shadow. I held my breath to keep extra quiet.

I waited trying hard not to have to take another breath too early. The shadow disappeared and I exhaled sliding to the ground. I shut my eyes trying to relax when I heard soft music, not any music, but Avril Lavigne's Sk8r Boi.

I blinked my eyes and reached over to my phone turning off my noon alarm. I sat up and yawned stretching out my back and arms. My mom yelled down that breakfast was in the microwave with fresh squeezed orange juice in the fridge.

I smiled to myself. one week exactly before I am 18 and have to start cooking for myself. I shook my hair out before checking my phone. One text from Ryan 'Morning sleeping Beauty. Text me when you're up' among a dozen non-sense Facebook notifications.

I slid out of bed and walked upstairs to grab my breakfast. Opening the microwave released the wonderful scent of mom's cinnamon toast and chocolate waffles all homemade.

I put my plate on the table so I could grab a glass of orange juice. I took a sip of the juice on my way back to the table and smiled. Mom was the best. I took a bite of the toast on top of the waffles and groaned. "God mom I'm telling you, you need to open a restaurant" I called upstairs.

I heard my mom chuckle and grinned. I finished off my plate in silence enjoying every bite. After I finished I put my dishes in the dishwasher and cleaned up my place. A knock at the door made me jump. I looked out the kitchen window to see who it was but no one was there. "who is it Phine" mom called down.

I shrugged "I don't know. no one is there." She walked down the stairs with my father close behind her. I stepped behind them as they opened the door. On the front step was a brown package almost as tall as my mom who was 5'5. Dad poked the box reading the label.

"It's for you Saraphine. Did you order something?" my dad asked looking at me as he brought the box in. I shook my head rapidly. Dad brought the package in before he held his hand out to me. I rose a brow before it clicked that he wanted my flip knife. I ran down to my room and back up again before handing him the titanium covered blade