Chapter 5

Still clinging to her bedspread, Andi slowly removed one of her hands and carefully pulled her cell phone out of her pocket. Hitting number one on her speed dial and then lifting the phone to her ear, Andi waited, her heart hammering in her chest, for the person to answer.

"Hey! I was just going to call—" Emma said as she picked up on her end.

Andi almost whooped with happiness when she heard her best friend's voice on the phone. But she was still too freaked by her predicament to celebrate for long. She needed Emma's help, pronto.

"You have to come over," Andi said, interrupting her. No time for pleasantries.

 "- you!" Emma finished her previous sentence. Then she paused. "But I was just heading over to The Seven to meet Jax."

"Ditch him," Andi said, eying the floor below her wearily. Ordinarily she had catlike reflexes, but she wasn't sure how she'd do when gravity kicked back in. And she didn't want to find out. Not when there was no one around to help put her back together.

Or drive her to the hospital.

"Why? What are you doing?" Emma asked, growing curious.

"Uh, let's just say, I'm...hanging around," Andi said and then laughed at her own joke. Sure, the situation itself wasn't funny. But she was. Good to know she hadn't lost her sense of humor even when her life was flashing before her eyes.

"But Jax planned this whole afternoon—" Emma hemmed and hawed.

"Oh, just come over!" Andi barked. Then, softening her tone, she added, "Please?"

And then as she adjusted her body on the bed, her grip loosened on the cell and Andi watched with unbelieving eyes as it fell from her hands to the carpet below with a thud.

"Andi? Hello? Did you just drop the phone on me?" Andi could hear Emma saying from her place six feet away.

"Come! Now! Thanks!" Andi yelled, hoping Emma had heard her. Or if she hadn't, that she'd be worried enough to come over to investigate. Either way, Emma was Andi's only shot at fixing whatever was going on.

* * *

Andi had to hand it to her best friend. She'd never let her down. In this case though, that was exactly what Andi was hoping Emma would do as she ran into her room an impressively short five minutes later.

"What the—" Emma said, her eyes widening in shock.

"I know, right?" Andi said from her place on the ceiling. She'd had enough time to come to terms with her predicament and had stopped worrying that she'd fall at any moment. Instead, she'd begun to fear that she'd never stand upright again.

And she was getting a head rush.

"What happened?" Emma gaped, straining to look up at Andi.

"No clue. I was cleaning my room—" Andi started.

"Whoa," Emma said, taken aback once again.

"Hey, I do it every once in a while! Sheesh, you and my mom are such neat freaks," Andi muttered. "Anyway, I was cleaning my room and listening to music—You know, that one song by that group we like? The cute guys? So, I was all like, 'Wish I could disappear, there's so much I should fear,' and all of a sudden—whammo! Everything was upside down. Who do you think did this? And why....me?"