Chapter Six

That dreaded Friday morning had come, and Astrid had spent most of it sulking in bed. The anxiety gnawed at the pit of her stomach like a hungry animal; relentless, no matter how she tried to cope. She tried to distract herself by showering until the water ran cold, grilling herself a cheese sandwich, even cleaning the inside of the house. Yet, she couldn't shake away the anxiety, and it was only just ten-thirty.

She decided to pay Morgan a visit. As degrading as it might sound, having Morgan around was almost like having a new puppy to play with. She wanted to constantly be around him, because, after all it's not everyday you can have a conversation with a mermaid you keep locked away in your dock. She was afraid she would seem too overbearing for him though, so she only visited two or three times a day to give him lobster and a bit of company.

"How's your tail?" She asked as she set the bucket of lobster down next to her. It had been almost a week, and whatever magical powers Morgan claimed the ocean possessed seemed to be true. The deep gashes across his keel were now just indentions, and the smaller cuts were just little pink scars now.

"My fluke is still shredded and I am still a bit sore. Another day or two and I should be completely recovered."

Astrid, selfishly, wished his recovery would take longer. She had barely begun to get to know Morgan, and within forty-eight hours he would be gone. Forever, as far as she knew. She forced a smile. "That's great."

"I have something for you." Morgan said, pushing his board against the dock. "Close your eyes."

Astrid didn't bother to question it, so she closed her eyes. A chill ran up her spine as she felt his wet hand grab hers and pried her fingers away from her palm. Something cool and smooth was placed in her hand, and by the feel it was very thin.

"You may look."

Astrid opened her eyes, and looked down at the what had been placed in her hand: a sand dollar, blanched almost white with its signature tan flower-design in the middle. Looped through one of the holes was a string of old fishing wire. Morgan had made her a necklace.

"Oh, wow..."

"I spotted it while I was diving. It is said the All-Maker kisses each before throwing them into the sea." Morgan smiled. "Now you can carry a kiss wherever you go."

"It's lovely." She was apprehensive about the old fishing wire and the goop still attached to it, but pulled it over her head anyway. "Thank you."

"See it as a token of gratitude. Although I owe you more than just a sea urchin."

"You owe me nothing. Saving a life is priceless." She quoted her mother, feeling a small amount of dignity this time, instead of remorse. Morgan didn't respond, but instead just watched her with his electric blue eyes. He was unaware of the affect they had on a body. Or perhaps he knew just what he was doing.

"So where will you go...when you leave?" Astrid asked, just to break the silence. She didn't actually want to know, since the subject was a tender one.

"To find my mother." He replied, resting his chin on his arms. "I do miss her a great deal. I know I told you I'm often by myself, but not having the freedom to see her is...-"

"Painful." Astrid finished for him, resting her chin against the railing. "Like someone has punch you in the chest."

"I've tried calling for her." Morgan admitted. "Every night."

"And has she responded?"

Morgan shook his head, disappointment evident in his blue eyes. "Not once."