Chapter Four

Astrid drug the short board all the way back down to the dock, her mind too much in a jumble to be bothered by the waves anymore. It was funny how easy some things became superficial when compared to others.

"I'm back." She announced with no amount of enthusiasm.

"Is that a surfboard?" Morgan's eyes marveled at the blue and black board. He reached out for it like a kid in a candy store. "I've heard of these things, but never actually seen one." Astrid slid the board into the water and watched him slide onto it, wobbling at first before he gained his balance.

"I thought you might get tired after awhile." Astrid shrugged.

Morgan looked her dead in the eyes. "Thank you." His words were sincere. "Humans are not as bad as they've been made out to be."

"Yeah, well, neither are mermaids." Astrid muttered as she leaned against the railing.

"Morvens." Morgan corrected.

"Whatever." Astrid whispered, too exhausted to bother arguing.

Morgan narrowed his piercing blue eyes. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing." Astrid turned her head to avoid his gaze, but he swam himself around to look at her.

"I am not human, but I am no stranger to emotions. Something is bothering you, isn't it?"

"Everyone is bothering me!" Astrid spat. "Everyone in this God-forsaken little town is bothering me. They know every damn detail about my life, and all they want to talk about is what I want to forget." She ran her fingers through her hair. "Do you know what it's like to constantly be reminded of something like that? I relive it every time someone brings it up! I can hear the shouting. I remember the feeling, like I'm drowning. I can still see my mother's eyes when-"

"Astrid!"

Whatever Astrid had been about to say was forgotten at the harshness of his tone. She could feel her face growing hot. Her nails had dug into the wooden railing that she gripped so firmly her knuckles had gone white. She exhaled and relaxed. They were quiet for a long while, listening to the water lapping against the wood.

Finally, when Astrid released her grip on the railing, Morgan broke the silence by asking, "Am I bothering you, Astrid?"

She shook her head. "Believe it or not, you're about the only one I can stand right now."

Morgan swam close so that the tip of his board hit the edge of the dock. "Is there any way I can help you, Astrid?"

Astrid grinned, but shook her head again. "No, but thank you for the offer. That would be a first." She headed for the door. "I think I'll just go clear my mind," and after a pause added, "and my garage."

* * *

The fisherman gazed out across the water, running his calloused fingers through his wiry beard. It was calm across the horizon, and still. Unnaturally still; there wasn't even the slightest waft of a breeze. After days of rain, the clouds had finally cleared to reveal the sun, but even in broad daylight there was something macabre in the air...or in the water.

He'd lost count of how many days he'd been out here, and his rations were almost depleted, but those were just mere inconveniences now. He had far greater things on his mind as he scanned the surface of the water, searching for the slightest disturbance.

A thunk against the hull startled him, causing him to subconsciously reach for the locket tucked under his flannel shirt. He whispered a name under his breath, and reached for his scoop net. He peered over the bow of the boat, narrowing his eyes at the two fish that had floated to the surface. They were dead, obviously, and as he scooped them into the net, he realized that they had been attached together by a string that extended from their gaping mouths.